Re: [DML] A message to prospective DeLorean owners..do not show up with

Re: [DML] A message to prospective DeLorean owners..do not show up with a book..

My point being,that a Book or DMCH's book would be fine at a Commercial establishment,that is selling a Delorean..But in NO WAY show up at a private residence with a Book in hand doing a page to page check list..again I or anyone else would see it as offensive..since most Delorean owners see their cars as their "babies" and for some stranger nitpicking from a book is not how a typical Delorean owner wants a Buyer to act...On the other hand coming over with a Vast Knowledge of Deloreans and "talking Delorean" while Visually checking off for any defects,will not only get you in good terms with the seller..but most likely a good deal..and A happy prospect for both buyer and seller.

Never ever get into the Market to buy a Delorean or any older sportscar..until you have full knowledge of the vehicle you are interested..or at the least bring someone who has vast mechanical knowledge of that particular model.

Claude
1024 Bric

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Peter Lucas <lucas@...> wrote:

> Claude,
> With all due respect, IMO that position is ridiculous.  I still have vivid memories from 15 years ago when I first got interested in Ds, and started chasing cars for sale. Two things stand out in my memory:   (1) How little I understood the nuances what I was shopping for, and (2) how unbelievably brazen many sellers were in mis-representing what they had for sale.  To suggest that someone in that position today should attempt to conceal his or her ignorance, or should somehow be ashamed that they have taken the effort to procure a reliable source of information and brought that source with them while shopping is not very good advice, I think. Of COURSE one should do everything possible to become educated before entering the market, but (a) that is easier said than done--especially when one is in the first rush of enthusiasm; and (b) finding and bringing along such a book counts as one kind of  due diligence, it seems to me.
>
> More generally, why *anyone* (except maybe one of those disreputable sellers) would be critical of James or anyone else who takes the time to compile a convenient and accessible source of reliable information about these cars is just beyond me. Having just completed a book myself, I, too, can attest to the fact that it is a lot harder than it looks, and I offer my congratulations and thanks to James.
>
> Unlike some other long-time list members, I have found myself pretty tolerant of the recent tumult on the list (except for the ad hominem attacks)  But, I frankly find these last comments to be just vacuous carping.   James has made a real contribution to the community.  If anyone can do better, please step up and do so.
>
> --Pete Lucas
>    VIN #06703
>

> On Sep 17, 2012, at 10:05 AM, cbl302@... wrote:
>
> > If I was selling a delorean..I Would CHASE the person off my Property if they showed up with a Book...It would make me feel like ...well.. the Proverbial Shady Used car dealer..and in No way would I sell to that person..bottom line do your Homework FIRST about the "Ins" and "outs" of a Delorean..Again USE ALL available sources and NOT just a Book to learn about the Good and Bad about Deloreans..Just DO NOT show up with a Book..it would only Embarrass You..(as it would show your lack of knowledge of Deloreans)and Piss off the Seller..as it would make him or her seem Dishonest.
> >
> > Claude
> > 1024 Bric

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional