Re: [DML] Delorean Owner

David,
[I don't mean to be contentious AT ALL, I am genuinely curious:]

Do you disapprove of the various electric DeLorean conversions? Couldn't everything you say be said of those?  Or is the problem that an electric conversion would be *obvious* and some unnamed other conversions are easily overlooked?  (If so, I guess I might argue that anyone who can't tell a K-Jet from some other fuel/air system might be well-advised to find some other hobby  :-)  ).

My point, as I said before, is that everything surrounding this car is intrinsically *recreational* in nature. We own, maintain, and sometimes modify these vehicles because we find it *fun*.  I put a rear-view camera on my D years before this was a practical thing do do. If it breaks after I am gone, I wish the next owner luck finding someone to repair it.   I once seriously considered adding electric door closers to the car.  Did I think that the resulting system would be more practical than the stock setup?  Of course not.  I considered it because it would have been interesting and fun.   I admit that neither of these mods are likely to stop the car from running, but so what?  As I say, if you want reliable transportation, you should go elsewhere.   What if somebody rose to your challenge and added a crank starter? Then you could replace the battery with a big capacitor.  That would be fun and interesting, too.  Might be a little extreme, but I bet it would get attention at the next DCS.

The participants of the Great Carburetion Debate on both sides have been writing as if there was some kind of right or wrong principle involved here.  There isn't.  At the end of the day, there are only two reasons for anyone other than a museum to own these cars;  (1) the fun of owning, driving, and playing with them as we see fit, and (2) the friendship and camaraderie of the people we meet in the process.  Maybe this list will have a renaissance if we focus both of these.

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703

On Aug 20, 2012, at 1:01 PM, jtrealtywebspannet <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not only is support NOT a "red herring" IMHO they have devalued the car by the conversion. Someday one of the converted (I did not say carbureted) cars will be sold and wind up at a Delorean vendor for work. The new owner may be unpleasantly surprised when they are told what they really bought. We can go back and forth over this, it will be decided one owner at a time. My main point here is they *should* make an informed decision and know all of the consequences BEFORE they do something as drastic as a conversion. I still maintain for all of the effort required to remove the K-Jet system it could just as easily be made to run properly. Of course it DOES require someone with the necessary skills. By your logic, if someone did not know how to fix the starter they should just put a crank on it. That makes no sense at all.
> David Teitelbaum
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:
> >
> > Owners who have converted to carburetion might be insulted by your insinuation that they did not carefully evaluate their decision first a

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)