[DML] Re: Mystery capacitor

At least 11 capacitors original to the harness:
- Radiator fan
- Radiator fan
- Turn signals
- Windshield wipers
- 4 behind radio bracket
- Coil
- Rear bulkhead
- A/C condensor

Scotch locked capacitors that I know of:
- 1 under dash
- K-Jet microswitches

This is far more capacitors than I have ever seen on any other vehicle.

Common DeLorean ground problems:
- Melted inertia switch harness connector
- Melted Fuse #7
- Other various melted fuses (Speaking of which: though this was a supply problem, not a ground problem, on #5939 the Blue/White blower motor lead wire -- the one that goes from the junction to Fuse #10 -- was only 16 or 18 gauge. The rest of the circuit is 12 gauge, but the wire that started it was only half that size. I didn't know this until I totally melted Fuse #10 running the blower motor on its highest setting for several hours on the way to DCS'12. DMC/Lotus engineering at work...)
- Inaccurate dash volt gauge readings
- Tachometer reacting to other electrical devices
- Headlights reacting to other electrical devices
- Etc
Every single owner who has run a ground bus has reported immediate improvement of weird electrical behavior. Rob Grady's exact words to me at SS'10: "This [ground bus] is the best thing you can do for the electrical system." I know you don't like my ground bus, but I defy you to argue that it is in any way harmful or detrimental -- to do that you have to argue against every metal bodied vehicle ever built! (All of which offer an even bigger path back to the battery than my bus).

Speaking of paths back to the battery: the entire car, except for the engine itself (not K-Jet -- it passes through the passenger compartment), is totally dependent upon the rear bulkhead bolt to frame wire. There are seven 12 gauge wires going into that bolt, but only one 6 gauge wire coming out. Combined cross section of the wires going in: .5656", cross section of the wire coming out: .1620". Wonder if that bolt ever gets hot?

Takes a bold man to argue that the DeLorean electrical system is not problematic at best....

Bill Robertson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Martin Gutkowski" <martin@...> wrote:

> The only cap in the main loom that I can think of is for the indicators. Oh, and across the fan motors I believe (note I said *part of the main loom*). Where are the rest of the "large number" of these ubiquitous devices?
>
> Why is it a problem with the DeLorean wiring? Is the pos Craig radio blameless here? #1458 has an Alpine stereo working just fine off the windshield antenna for example. DMC likely had to come up with a "fix" for a substandard stereo that they had to work with.
>
> I remain unconvinced by the arguments about the delorean loom grounding being inadequate because I've never seen any problems caused by it except where the chassis connections go bad. I've installed EFI four times now and never had problems with the Adaptronic ECU caused by noise or a poor ground.
>
> Martin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: