Re: [DML] Re: Mystery capacitor

The point of this reply is to point out corrections, not to argue. I am
not interested in going off-piste with your repsonse - please stick to
what I've actually written. I've never tried pulling the
"qualifications" card but I am a qualified electronic engineer.

> At least 11 capacitors original to the harness:
>
> - Turn signals
... that one isn't for supression, it's for the timer circuit to operate
the flash.

> - 4 behind radio bracket
Are you sure you aren't confusing capacitors with diodes - that's the
location of the diodes which control the interior lights and door lights.

> - Coil
...isn't part of the main loom as I was careful to point out in my
original post.
> - Rear bulkhead
Be more specific.
> - A/C condensor
...not even an electrical device. Please be more specific.

> This is far more capacitors than I have ever seen on any other vehicle.
Capacitors are one of *the* simplest electronic components, there are
many hundreds within the car but not part of the loom (stereo, lock
module, intermittent wiper, ignition amp, idle ECU, lambda ECU and so on).

> Common DeLorean ground problems:
> - Melted inertia switch harness connector
...cannot be caused by a poor connection to the chassis.

> - Melted Fuse #7
...cannot be caused by a poor connection to the chassis.
> - Other various melted fuses

Okay, let's clear up which is evidently a fundamental misunderstanding
of ohm's law. A "bad ground" in a circuit will cause extra series
resistance and will REDUCE the current in the circuit. Current generates
heat. The only place a bad ground will generate excess heat is AT THE
POINT OF THE BAD GROUND.

Let me re-state this more clearly: _A FUSE CAN'T GET HOTTER BECAUSE OF A
BAD GROUND_

> I know you don't like my ground bus, but I defy you to argue that it is in any way harmful or detrimental

I just think it's pointless, but please do what makes you happy. Please
don't "market" it as a cure-all based on erroneous information. I've now
explained above that none of your supposed problems could be caused by a
ground problem, so you don't need a ground bus other than what the
chassis provides anyway.

> -- to do that you have to argue against every metal bodied vehicle ever built! (All of which offer an even bigger path back to the battery than my bus).
What's a "bigger path" Bill? Less resistive? More cross section area?
More capable of carrying the current? Let's be clear, I know what you're
(trying to) say, it's just a non-entity. The only problem the DeLoren
has is having to run specific ground wires back to the chassis because
the body is made of fibreglass. The handbrake lever switch is a good
example where there's an additional ground wire to actually ground the
handbrake mounting bracket in the first place.

> Speaking of paths back to the battery: the entire car, except for the engine itself (not K-Jet -- it passes through the passenger compartment), is totally dependent upon the rear bulkhead bolt to frame wire. There are seven 12 gauge wires going into that bolt, but only one 6 gauge wire coming out.
It's not about current handling, it's about resistivity over a length -
they'll never get anywhere near their current handling maximum, but
they're heavy gauge to provide a low resistance ground path. The one in
the engine bay is very short so doesn't need the equivalent gauge..

> Takes a bold man to argue that the DeLorean electrical system is not problematic at best....
I don't think there's a problem with the grounding

Martin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: