From: content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, June 14, 2012 12:31:23 PM
Subject: Re: [DML] Forgot to Mention

Myself and others who are interested in this project do not drive LeMans. We do
not push our tires' contact path to their limit on a regular basis. Rather, we
GT cruise over what is left of America's highway infrastructure. Speaking only
for myself: I do not want to feel washboard pavement, tractor tire ruts,
potholes, patchwork repairs, etc transmitted through my steering wheel. In the
current state of our highway system, a little numbness would be appreciated.
Even my F150's with rudimentary I beam suspensions are smoother to steer over
bad pavement than my DeLorean.

Bill Robertson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Griese <mike.griese@...> wrote:

> Lotus didn't use rag joints in the steering on any of their cars except for
> maybe the Evora - I haven't looked at that model in sufficient detail to know
> but I would be surprised if they did. Rag joints numb the steering response and
>
> feel.
>
> A properly maintained steering system (which includes the front suspension)
> should not have regular vibrations.  If it does, fix that problem first before

> deciding if additional dampening is desired.  What the Lotus design provides is
>
> very tactile >vibration free< feedback from the contact patch of the front
> wheels to the drivers hands.  That is very important for drivers who like to
> track their cars, and a significant number of Lotus owners do just that.
> Knowing when the tire is going over bumps, seams, uneven or loose pavement is
> good to know when you are pushing the contact patch to its limit.  Rag joints
> also make it impossible to feel the tire tread moving around, which makes it
> hard to know when the contact patch is at the limit.
>
> Personally I prefer manual steering cars with no rag joints.  Cars like our BMW
>
> 3 series or even the Boxster feel numb and disconnected from the road compared

> to my Elise, Esprit and DeLorean.  Most of that is due to the power steering
> systems.  Our pickup is just hopeless.
>
>  --
> Mike

<*> Your email settings: