[DML] email filters

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client and have successfully
created a filter that removes email addresses and messages from members
that I would rather not see my inbox get clogged with. It was easy and
this morning, it removed 4 messages and sent them to "junk." Granted, if
there is a reply by any other member to one of the threads that contain
messages from either of the members in my filter, I will still see what
they initially wrote (if quoted), but it will be much nicer not seeing
their email addresses in my inbox.

I am baffled at how much time people have on their hands. Yesterday, it
seemed that every few minutes another message was either started or
replied to that included links, long, drawn out replies and or annoying
sarcasm. I have met two of the members that I created a filter for. One
of them I would be positive I'll never run into again and that is more
than fine by me, unless he is planning to attend DCS, in which case I
will be sure to avoid him at all cost. On the other hand, one of them I
met for the first time  at a DMA event a few years back and he helped me
with my car. I enjoyed talking with him and appreciated his willingness
to teach me how to perform the repair and offer advice. I am sure he
will attend DCS and will say hello when I run into him. Unfortunately, I
have grown tired of their rhetoric and it is not for me. I'm tired of
the constant emailing about worthless crap and the obsessiveness with
what seems like the need for validation. Keep in mind, there are other
members of the DML that are obsessive and and also feel the need for
validation, but at times, find their posts worth reading, unless it is
all about responding critically, sarcastically, etc. to others.

Why do people allow themselves to be consumed by what other people say
and their criticism? Why this need to defend? Why not just deal with the
fact that not everyone agrees with everyone, especially when it comes to
this hobby? The majority of us are educated, grown adults, however an
outsider would look at the DML and these posts and think this group is a
bunch of little children with nothing better to do with our time. Other
than the fact that the performance of our cars is anemic, it's no wonder
why our cars don't attract many women and barely get respect in the
automotive community.

- Josh

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional