[DML] Club magazine printing, and DOA discussion.

[DML] Club magazine printing, and DOA discussion.

I am told my absence from this conversation has been noted..  :)

When the DMA made the decision to no longer send out paper copies of updates to the members, we gave an option to members (IIRC, for free) to continue to receive paper updates of events and such.  The idea was, the club secretary would simply print a copy of the updates from the website on a quarterly basis and mail them out.

The first year we did this, I think we had 2 of our members that asked for this.  I think that number dropped to zero the following year.

It is inexpensive for people to print their own copies of a PDF if they so choose, but I would suggest all clubs consider the cost/benefit equations of disseminating information in the "dead tree" format.  I see no advantage to it. As this discussion illustrates, it is a significant cost factor to the club.  Way too much money is spent on it.  Discontinuing the paper magazine could translate to a huge reduction in membership fees and possibly attract more members.

On the general DOA topic, I don't know why a car club needs the secrecy of the NSA.   I think an argument could be made such that the function of a global DeLorean organization serving owners and enthusiasts would be more successful if they provided information and publications free for all (and have a cost model of zero, using modern digital methods), income could be generated from advertisement and possibly raffles of unique items.  Events run by the club would be "pay as you go". Such that each event would be (for the most part) self sustaining, like DCS.  "membership", and board elections could be made part of the convention activities.