Re: [DML] DeLorean Owners Association??

FINALLY!!!!

I'm very critical of the DOA, and always have been. But I've never wanted to destroy the DOA, just dismantle the negative board of directors and replace them with better people who actually have the ability to adjust to the needs of a modern, honest DeLorean owner. I've tried instigating this several times over the years by way of my goading questions. Not everyone understood my questions, but a few other DML'ers here saw what I was doing and have told me so offline they saw it and realized what was going on...

My goal of criticizing wasn't simply to vent my anger or frustrations at you or anyone else. I got over my problems with the DOA almost a decade ago, and certainly don't have time to dwell on things (though through the responses I got lots of former DOA people do!). My goal with my criticism wasn't actually to win any argument. On the contrary, I've been setting up opportunities for someone to actually answer those questions and show that there WAS a change with the DOA. I've been throwing baseballs, and no one has bothered to hit them, just complain that I was throwing them. Until you.

I have pestered DOA representatives for YEARS with these questions, and gotten the same hostile response that it's not their job to offer benefits as a club to their members. YOU, Josh, on the other hand are the ONLY one who has ever actually taken responsibility for anything, rather than blaming people who are asking the questions. Here's a great example:

Me: "Why does DeLorean World Magazine continue to suck because the DOA refuses to publish articles relevant to their audience?"

DOA Representative Ken/Linda/Shipman/etc. Answer: "Because of you! You want to read something you like, YOU need to write it! It's *YOUR* magazine, so it's not our fault/concern/responsibility!"

Josh: "I agree with your assessment of some past issues of the magazine.  I've struggled with that exact problem... "I've learned to ask myself these questions..."

Josh, you are the ONLY person from the DOA that's ever acknowledged ANYTHING is not right, let alone dared to actually take any semblance of responsibility! You have earned my respect!

The DOA does actually have the opportunity to become perhaps bigger and better than the way it once was in as a national/global hub of DeLorean related technical and leisure information. And that is in spite of online information resources such at the DML, DMCTalk, and even vendor telephone support. It's just that no one at the DOA knows how to go about this.

What the DOA needs to do is seriously restructure itself. Not just administrative wise, but socially.

1. Restructure the DOA's mission and ultimately it's role as an organization that serves it's members and there needs, and lose the mentality that it's the other way around.

2. Change the image of the modern DeLorean owner. Recognize what their NEEDS are, and as such don't just stop at HOW you can meet those needs, but set GOALS for the organization on how to measure that you're successfully meeting them.

3. Change your mentality on technical and leisure articles.

4. Restructure your Board Of Directors in terms of responsibilities, accountabilities, and freedoms to execute their positions.

5. Win back the hearts and minds of the community that the DOA destroyed so long ago.

All of these are actually quite simple tasks and goals. Within a year, I'd say you could honestly double your membership in the organization, and maintain and grow those numbers into the next year. And you could do that with the Magazine alone.

I honestly like what I'm reading by you, Josh. And I know you're working hard as Editor of DeLorean World, but I'd really rather see you heading up the DOA itself. Head up the big chair and I'll not only join the DOA, but I'll even work on the board and will lend a hand in rebuilding the organization.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman@...> wrote:

> Hey Robert,
>

> I agree with your assessment of some past issues of the magazine.  I've
> struggled with that exact problem in my tenure as Assistant Editor for DCS
> Magazine.  From that experience, and now, as Editor of DeLorean World, I've
> learned to ask myself these questions:
<SNIP>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional