Re: [DML] Best way to shift for better fuel economy?

Re: [DML] Best way to shift for better fuel economy?

Hi

Some info from someone who sold an automatic DeLorean just to get a 5-speed
two weeks later ;) I hate automatics and just love to shift manually.

Starting from the second gear is in no way saving you gas. Same applies to
skipping gears. They are there for a reason. An engine is more efficient at
low load, but when you start from second and then skip gears you are putting
more load on it requiring more fuel. At the same time you are putting a lot
of strain on the clutch and the transmission.
Forget about this... and this applies to any car not just the DeLorean.
Unless it's a big truck with a transmission designed for pulling huge loads
then skipping gears uses more fuel.
Start from 1 and use ALL the gears. Up and down shift points are different
for every car but for the D they are:
Shift to a higher gear at 2500 RPM.
Shift to a lower gear at 1500 RPM.
Go below 1500 when coming to a stop or when in first gear. Never keep it in
gear below 1000 RPM.

The best way to save fuel is to keep the engine between 2000 and 2500 when
accelerating and 2000 to 1500 when slowing down. Use the gas pedal
carefully, anticipate stops and use engine braking. Low RPM with a lot of
gas is very inefficient as is very high RPM.

As a side note, some info about how to use the clutch. Don't laugh! It turns
out that a lot of people don't know how to use it properly.
Treat the clutch as a "momentary" pedal. This means that you do not keep it
pressed down! And you don't keep it pressed half way down. With the car
stopped, step on the clutch (all the way to the floor), shift into gear and
start releasing the clutch. When stopped at a red light put the car in
neutral and release the clutch!
Remember - IN - OUT, IN - OUT. Never IN ---------------- half --------------
IN.

Just practice....