From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Stankiewicz
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:37 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] DOA/DCS

I too am concerned about any prospect of bringing the DOA and DCS together (or closer).  In the past, there have always been these organizations (local and national clubs) and publications.  Many of which were obviously operating on their own agendas oftern with little concern for the good of the group as a whole.  The clubs want to boost membership and the publications are for the sole purpose of their publishers (nothing shocking here I know).

To me though, the DCS (and Gullwing mag when it was around) is the most straight-forward of all.  When I sigen up, I knew I'd be getting nice magazines and Ken will be putting on a great show every 2 years.  No politics or agendas to deal with.  At the shows, Ken's always made every type of car welcome, from customs and daily drivers down to concours.  From my perspective, the DOA has always been the opposite extreme. Cloaked in secrecy, snobbery/elitism and add to that the fact it's a national, not local, organization, I've never been quite sure exactly what I'd get for the steep $75 membership.  (Besides being able to say the I BELONG...)  At least with a local club, I know there will be local events.

Don't get me wrong, I like the "idea" of a strong National club, though with the size of our group and the ability to easily share info for free in the existing online mediums (DMCTalk and DML), I'm not sure I know what a National club would have to offer to reach that goal.  I wish Josh the best of luck, though I believe it will be an uphill battle to make any substantial changes.  However, as it stands now, I don't see how the DOA deserves the right to raise its reputation by riding the coat tails of what Ken has created in the DCS.  In my opinion, the DOA should have to fix itself first, before being allowed any formal association with the DCS.

Obviously this is all Ken ("The Dictator's") call, but this is my $.02.

Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

[moderator snip]