[DML] Re: A/T new question

My guess is that the transmission is stuck in 3rd, NOT 2nd. You are
correct that both solenoids off is 3rd gear. I believe that was
designed intentionally so that you have a "Limp Home" mode and since
most driving is done over 35 MPH and the car would be typically in 3rd
most of the time, it is the lowest power level (default level) so it
is the easiest on the components. Just FYI you can put 12 volts
directly to the solenoids using switches for testing purposes to
verify that the transmission is functioning. Or you can build a "light
box" to see if and when the shift computer is powering the solenoids.
E-mail me off-list if you need instructions on how to do this. (No
need to bother most people on the list, they have 5-speeds and
couldn't care less!) BTW my guess is that the shift computer is not
commanding either solenoid so the trans will be in 3rd with or without
the fuse. Do a quick check on the wiring harness, it runs close to the
exhaust pipes and if it not secured away from the heat the wires will
melt.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <rob@...> wrote:

> Bryan,
>

> You are correct. Since the trans. is stuck in second with the fuse
out I'd
> suspect an incorrectly repaired governor. The reason the trans.
freewheels
> at high revs is because typically automatics are designed to do this to
> avoid further damage from over revving when stuck in lower "gears"
(Ranges
> is a more accurate term on an automatic trans.). I'm not going to
ask where
> you got it because it might come off as a dig but I have a feeling I
know
> where it's from?nuff said.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional