[DML] DOA and the Future - Long

I have been reading the back and forth about the issue with the DOA
and the DMA in terms of the invitation, or lack there and the ongoing
mis-trust that is evident.

1.  It is my belief that any complaint should have come from the
President of the DMA as the representative of that organization. In
all orgainzations there is a Chain of Command.  If this was seen as a
snub I believe it would have been more appropriate for the President
of the DMA to decide how to address it and be the voice for the
organization.   This situation, to me, could have been resolved via a
private communication or phone call with no embarrassment or hard
feelings on anyone's part.

Here's a better senario....A simple private note saying

"Hey Ken,

Some people are seeing the invite as non-inclusive of the DMA, could
you look into it and perhaps have Mark re-post to mention the group
or at least let us know if there are any issues we can work together
to resolve.

A little different, eh?   This is how people should treat other
people in the same community.  If Mr. Baker wrote back and said "Piss
off, we will post whatever we want"  THEN you would have something to
complain about.  At least have the kindness to ask people what their
intentions are first before hitting the boards.

2. I believe the post had no evil intentions and was not a direct
snubbing of the DMA.  The poster tried to clarify his intent and as a
member of the DMA I was ok with his explaination.  It was, in my
mind, not a big deal and a simple mis-understanding.  People are not
perfect.  I feel he was unfairly critized.  Have none of you ever
made an error?

3.  An invitation was then sent on the boards to DMA members for this
perceived oversight.  In my mind this ended the issue with both
groups moving forward. However, a late post was allowed by the
moderators that I felt was unnecessary and only served to continue
what should have been a dead issue.

4.  I believe that the DOA has made great strides in repairing the
rifts caused by the old-school members.  For anyone still on the
fence, as I was, a simple talk with Ken Baker would serve you well.
I found him to be honest, open and ready to tackle the issues we
have.  He does not want to post on the boards as we ALL KNOW that the
meaning of what someone writes will be taken in whatever manner the
READER wishes.  We have seen too many times when posts are taken the
wrong way by people and a flame war starts.  Mr. Baker has said from
the outset that he wants to stop this kind of mis-understanding and
would rather talk to people in person, so there is a real dialogue.
Rather than honor this, some members continue to see this request
as "hiding" and not "wanting to address" things....which is, in my
opinion, unfair and mis-trusting.

I totally honor this kind of outreach on the part of a DOA
President.  We have not seen this in many many years and I think this
is an opportunity we as a group should not see as a hiding of
agendas, or trying an attempt to continue in the former method of the
old DOA.  What ever happened to taking a man for his word? What ever
happened to simply kindness?

5. I have not seen or read any post by the DOA that would suggest
they are continuing in the manner in which it was run before.  Aside
from the one post that some took as a snub. I have been in this
community since 1986 and I have never seen this kind of desire on the
part of the DOA to include people.

6.  I believe Mr.Baker and "new" DOA will make some mistakes and not
be perfect.  How can any of us expect them not to? Given the past
history they need to deal with and our ingrained bias against the
organization they are fighting alot of negative feelings many have.
I believe they are not being given the chance to do so and am sad to
continue to read unkind and negative posts.

7. As for Mr. Bakers comment about the unrest within the DMA, I took
Mr. Bakers comment on the status of the DMA as shear frustration on
his part that he is not being given an open and clear shot at making
things better.  How many slams has Mr. Baker been the recipient of???
I've read post after post from people attacking his character and
intentions and when Mr. Baker finally had enough, he fires one back
and gets beat up for that as well.  Mr. Baker did not start
this....he was attacked the minute he posted about wanting to take
the DOA in a new direction.

Mr. Bakers posts to the boards have been dissected, chewed up and
spit back at him often.  I think his comment was a bit inappropriate,
but after reading all the digs he has been given I think he reached a
boiling point. How many of you would like to have everything you
write here taken as some form of hidden agenda or with evil intent?
After awhile, you would get upset too.  Mr. Baker has personally done
NOTHING to any of you.....Is this how we treat people now on these
boards?  If the moderators wish to allow these kinds of posts then
they should also allow rebuttal posts in support of Mr. Baker and his
efforts.

Let's remember, back in the late 90's I was the victim of a threat of
physical violence from the DOA after I complained about preferential
placements of ads in Delorean World Magazine for D1.  "I'll be at
your house tonight with a baseball bat and beat your head in"... So
if there is anyone on this board that should continue with hatred in
their hearts for the DOA it is me!....So don't any of you dare
question my intent or my integrity as you are so quick to do with Mr.
Baker.  I am not a cheerleader for the DOA or a sockpuppet. I am a
person who thinks people should be given a fighting chance for change
and not be so tainted with past issues.

If you think Mr. Baker has made an error or isn't following through
have the moral character to talk to him and stop this no-win
situation.  We have been waiting too long for someone to take
leadership of the DOA that WANTS to reach out and make things better.

If I can stop the hatred of the past in my heart and give Mr. Baker a
chance I think all of you should do so as well.  If in the end the
DOA fails to deliver, wouldn't you all rather be able to say that we
gave Mr. Baker our 100% support?  If they falter "with" our support
we can at least say that we tried rather than being pompous and
saying "See, I told you they would screw up".  It will be our fault
if we continue be mis-trusting and not give them a chance.

9. I believe that some of you will quickly write back to this post
attempting to counterpoint my thoughts.  I would ask that rather than
shoot back a post give me a call so we can talk person-to-person.
207-743-6435.  If you feel the need to then post about our
conversation so be it.  At least give me the courtesy to hear your
opinions.

10...and finally....take a walk in Mr. Bakers shoes for one moment
and see how you would feel to have so much anger and hatred thrown at
you when you have done nothing to deserve it.  I will not be a part
of this.  Give him your trust and support...what does it hurt? What
does it cost you to say "Go for it, what can I do to help?"  Give
this guy some glimmer of hope that we as a group will stop pissing on
everything they say, write and do.   If they screw up, believe me
I'll be the first one to slam them, but until then I will not be an
obstacle.

Thanks for reading.

Tom Watkins

<*> Your email settings: