[DML] Fuel tank baffle

Hi All,

With all this talk about pumps and fuel tank stuff, I just wanted to
share my experiences of the fuel tank baffle. In my opinion, a properly
working original baffle and pickup setup is vastly superior to John's
setup (sorry, John)

The original setup is awkward to assemble and prone to the pickup hose
collapsing due to particles clogging the pickup filter, and the original
soft rubber the pickup hose was made from.  I believe the particles
mostly come from a rusty filler neck and/or from a tank that has been
left to sit. Many DeLoreans have been left to stand with fuel in their
tanks for some years. Tar-like deposits build up, and when they break
down again, having been soaked in fresh fuel, the pickup filter can clog
- sometimes months after the car has been put back on the road.

The fuel pump makes a groaning noise when the fuel is cavitating in the
suction side of the pump - in other words, boiling. It condenses back to
a liquid very quickly after being compressed by the pump, but it's not
good for the pump and suggests either a kinked hose, a collapsing hose
(if original) or a blocked pickup filter. These problems get worse when
the fuel is hot, but it's not the pump that's at fault.

DMC Texas has inexpensively remanufactured the pickup hose in a stiffer
rubber for some time now and as long as the tank is CLEAN, and the
baffle assembled correctly with a clean filter, and the return line
correctly returning to the baffle, this will work better than any other
baffle setup. It is designed to live in the middle of the tank for very
good reason, and this is principally why it's a bit of a sod to assemble.

The baffle is essentially a "cup" that sits in the centre of the tank,
and has a few small holes to let fuel in SLOWLY.  The engine uses fuel
at a fraction of the rate that the pump moves it. What it doesn't use,
gets sent back to the tank, and should drop straight back into the
baffle. So the flow into the baffle from the rest of the tank should be
restricted to a small amount. Simply mounting a ring shape to the bottom
of the tank isn't good enough, as DMC themselves discovered and issued a
service update to add a base to the original baffle. This means that
under cornering, braking and accelleration, the baffle acts as a
"buffer" and allows the fuel to get much lower before causing a problem.
It should be obvious that this ideally wants to be in the centre of the
tank.

I had a customer on the phone once swearing that his automatic
transmission was causing his car to cut out. He could reverse it out of
his garage, but as soon as he put it in drive, the car would stall.

I scratched my head for a bit and then it occurred to me to ask if he
had one of John's baffle kits... I then told him to go and put more fuel
in his car, and consider reverting back to the original setup which
allows the tank to get lower before you need to fill up.

My advice: Stick to the original design, and the improved parts
available for it. I'm sure the 909 Bosch pump is available in the US -
try BMW or Mercedes dealers to start with as it's used as standard on
most of them.

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

<*> Your email settings: