Re: [DML] Video Of Carbureted PRV Intake Manifold Removal

Re: [DML] Video Of Carbureted PRV Intake Manifold Removal

I really don't want to ignite yet ANOTHER flame war, but since you asked:

Fuel economy to/from SEDOC calculated between 23.8 and 25.2 MPG,
depending upon speed. Of course relying upon a gas pump and the trip
odometer isn't the most precise method of calculating fuel consumption
(every pump will shut off with different counter pressure), but it's
accurate enough to dispel the common misconception that carburetion is
necessarily or inherently fuel inefficient.

I fully admit that some carbs are badly designed. Some carbs
(especially aftermarket owner conversions) are mismatched to their
engines. And some carbs simply need repair or replacement. Please note
that mine has none of those weaknesses. The Motorcraft 2150 is
arguably one of the best 2 barrel carburetors ever designed. I have
one sized and jetted well for a 171 inch/2.8 liter PRV. The housing is
not worn around the throttle plate shaft (which is also a potential
vacuum leak even on K-Jet).

People seem to forget that the Honda Civic debuted in America in 1973,
with a carburetor, pushing close to 40 MPG (and no catalytic
converters -- first generation Civic met US emissions standards
without catalyst through 1979!). Toyota and Datsun never quite matched
those numbers, but they were still respectable above 30 MPG. Fuel
injection (and especially active engine management) has offered
incremental improvement, but it hasn't revolutionized fuel efficiency.
The same laws of physics were in effect in the 1970's as they are today.

Again, that video was *NOT* intended to convince you of anything. It
was offered as DeLorean associated entertainment only. Hopefully you
were entertained at least a little bit.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Niemczewski" <dmctom@...> wrote:
>
> Bill
>
> I have a question for you... what kind of fuel economy are you
getting with
> the carbureted PRV? Gas prices are so high that fuel economy is
becoming an
> important factor... especially here in Europe.
> BTW, all of you in the US, don't tell me that gas is expensive ;)
> Price of gas (lowest grade) in Poland with today's exchange rate is:
> $2.34 - 1 liter
> $8.85 - 1 gallon (US)
>
> As a side note I'd like to add that while all this sounds very
convincing, I
> really don't need a 3 minute access to the valley of 'whatever' ;) I
only
> need to get there about once every 10 years to replace the hoses and
> O-rings. It makes absolutely no difference to me if it takes 3
minutes or 3
> hours. Well, if you need to get in there every time you change the
oil, then
> yes, it makes sense ;)
> No, I'm not advocating the K-Jet... I'm just stating a fact ;)
>
> Tom Niemczewski
> vin 6149 (in Poland!)
> Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
> dmctom@...
> www.deloreana.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional