[DML] Re: DeLorean reliability

David is absolutly right. We've treked along with Dick and Leslie on
many of these annual road trips. I've replaced all the things on
Davids list more than once over the 26 years I've had the car. Most
of the replacments were done just because I felt it was time and not
because they had failed. I change all fluids every other year and at
close to 100,000 miles I wouldn't hesitate to drive it coast to
coast. The only thing I may differ with David about is the "well
lubricated" part of the right angle drive. I add a little grease to
it each spring. Too much grease can, over time, find it's way up the
cables to the speedometer head. This is only the second angle drive
for me in 26 years and the current one has well over 60,000 miles on
it. In this case just because a little is good doesn't mean a lot is
better.

Bruce Benson

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...>
wrote:

> On a well maintained Delorean it should be about as reliable as any
> car of the period. That said it IS 25 years old regardless of
mileage.
> This means many things should be replaced to maintain reliablility.
> Among the items are:
> Tires
> Master Water Pump Kit
> Radiator
> ALL fluids
> Accumulator
> Header bottle
> Right, rear upper muffler bracket
> Struts
> Wiper Blades
>
> Some known problem areas include:
> Speedometer (keep it well lubricated)
> Fuel tank sender
> Electrical system (relay upgrade kit, Fanzilla or eq, Lockzilla or
eq)
> Automatic transmission computer
> All recalls
> Plastic clutch line (5-speeds)
>
> On my car (low mileage) about the only issue I had in the last
couple
> of years is a slow leak in the A/C and old, weak struts. IMHO
> reliablitity  is DIRECTLY related to the amount of preventive
> maintainence performed. If you just drive the car till it stops and
> then repair only what's broken that is not the definition of "Well
> Maintained".
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "drhdmc1" <drhaney@> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe its just us Colorado guys, but I completely agree with
> > everything Dik posted. My car is esentially stock, no turbos ;-(.
> > drove from Denver to Gettysburg with two other owners and not one
of

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: