Re: [DML] Farrar's distrubutor - theory.

Re: [DML] Farrar's distrubutor - theory.

Bill,

One little correction about this analysis:

content22207 wrote:
> - Melted plastic slung around the engine compartment is bright orange,
> with no black carbon discoloration or deposits (does not appear to
> have been on fire when it was slung)
> http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_hr_1154320/f92d/__hr_/2549.jpg?gr4f.YIBW.fYQMKh

The two bits of orange plastic which are marked with circles on the
right are actually drips. The orientation of the picture, and the fact
that I moved the harness slightly when cleaning, makes them look
horizontal. In actuality, those are quite large drips. However, you are
correct in that they are exactly the color of the cap itself.

More interesting is something that would show up in a photo of better
resolution: tiny little flecks of orange plastic, melted into the
nearest malleable surface. This is most noticeable on the nearby
automatic transmission dipstick: tiny orange flecks of plastic now dot
one side of an otherwise solid red plastic handle! I didn't even see
them until I was cleaning up; it was only after I felt something
different and then wiped off the soot with a wet rag that I discovered
the strewn plastic droplets.

> - Farrar reports no damage to the engine cover (gasoline fires usually
> damage the hood of a traditional car)

True. This surprised me. Although the flames were only a few inches
high, they could have reached the engine cover, so I expected it to be
damaged. But when I opened it, even as the fire was in progress, it
stayed up as usual! This was helpful since I used both hands to put out
the fire. :-) It does appear to sag a bit more -- the engine cover does
not seem to be as rigid as it used to be -- perhaps this is heat damage
to the fibreglass, but there was no charring or other discoloration,
apart from a small film of soot toward the back.

Regardless of the cause, I am glad of the outcome. I have seen
photographs of DeLoreans destroyed by fire, and I am glad that #2613 was
not one of them! Its story is not over yet. ;-)

Cheers,
Farrar Hudkins
#2613 "Sparky"

<*> Your email settings: