Re: [DML] Lotus Esprit Rear Suspension

mike.griese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>The Esprit (and DeLorean) suspension depends on parts
>that are within spec.  They don't tolerate worn bushings,
>weak springs, improper fastener torque, old tires or leaking
>shocks like a typical American car.

Just wanted to say that that hits the nail on the head! And while
comparing Esprit to DeLorean suspension, it makes sense to look at a
1981 Esprit rather than a much later one as in John's photo - what
you're seeing there is how the DeLorena suspension may well have
evolved. Remember too that the Esprit suspension was designed to be full
adjustable whereas the DeLorean was designed to be mass produced, so
much of it was further simplified (like the single piece upper arms with
no castor adjustment).

Worn bushes, worn bushes, worn bushes... it can't be said often enough.
IMO one of the best ways to improve the stability of your car under
braking (once you know your calipers are healthy!) is a set of Toby and
Misty's front sway bar kits. Once you've got the old bushes in your hand
and compare them to the new ones, it'll all become very clear! (esp if,
as in so many cases, the lower arm bushes have started to fall apart).
Combine that with a set of Ed Uding's front lower, trailing arm and rear
arm polybushes and his STIFFER lower front springs, not to mention some
decent tyres and the DeLorean starts to take on considerably more
impressive handling. Add to that a set of adjustable shocks, fast road
kevlar brake pads, and maybe even a more powerful engine (*wink*) and
suddenly a stock DeLorean is in a very different, backward world.

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional