[DML] Re: Unprotected DeLorean Ignition Circuit

[DML] Re: Unprotected DeLorean Ignition Circuit

It is not so much the issue that I am for or against carbureation per
se, it is since you have made major changes to the fuel system I have
to assume some of the changes *could* be responsible for the fire.
That includes any changes to the ignition system. By putting a higher
voltage coil on ,it could have caused the break-down of the
distributer cap and rotor (or ignited the vapors from the crankcase).
Once you get away from stock all bets are off meaning you are
responsible to make sure it was done safely and with some reliability.
Since you say a PCV valve was installed you have to admit it is at
least possible that it was defective or incorrectly installed. Again I
will say protection of the primary ignition circuit would not have
prevented this but it is an area worth investigating. If the car still
was able to run at all the impulse coil was not involved in the fire.
Only secondary ignition circuit parts and there is NO protection of
them on ANY car.
 Look again at the nipples. There are 2 of them, one for the crankase
ventilation and 1 for the vapor canister. I agree "calibrated nipples"
are not as sophisticated as a metered valve with blow-back (back-fire)
protection but it works. I have yet to see any problems on a well
maintained (stock) Delorean regarding crankcase ventilation.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> No PCV valve on a K-Jet equipped PRV. Instead, Douvrin used much less
> efficient "calibrated nipples." Production DeLorean had one on the
> cold start tube, even though Page C:02:01 of the Workshop Manual shows
> two in the sides of the U pipes (typical Renault practice).
>
> This whole PCV valve theory is a Red Herring. I tried to post a
> message to that effect, but I guess it didn't make it past moderation
> (yet another reason I've given up on the DML -- let's see if *THAT*
> makes it through).
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Farrar <fhudkins@> wrote:
> >
> > David,
> >
> > Now that I think of it, the car was getting oil on the air filter
> before
> > the carburetor was installed. Not much oil at all, but isn't oil
on an
> > air filter a sign of a failing PCV valve?
> >
> > Farrar Hudkins
> > #2613 "Sparky"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional