[DML] Dear DMA Members...

DMA Members,

I come to you asking for your advice and support.  While I realize
most members are not interested in the politics of running a car club,
it is the unfortunate need to have bylaws and order to manage an
organization like the DMA to continue to provide great events and
benefits to us, the members.

For those of you who do not know me well, I have been a DeLorean
fanatic since 2002. With some help from my parents, I purchased my
first car, a DeLorean on which I learned to drive. My passion for the
DeLorean is so strong I have made use of the image for my design
company and even have a DeLorean tattoo on my leg.  That passion is in
no small part related to the DeLorean "experience" that comes from the
strong community that has been built around the car.  The DMA is a big
part of that.

It was not a giant leap for me to direct much of my energy back in to
the community I love.  I have used my art design skills for DCS, the
DMA and other DeLorean related projects.  Most of this time has been
donated.  The privilege of being a DMA officer seemed like a small
additional responsibility in my already long list of DeLorean related
activities, and I would be serving what has become the most successful
regional DeLorean club in the country. It was an honor to be elected
by the members in 2007, but the responsibility and obligation of doing
what I think is best for the club and it's members has been taking a
very large toll on me.  This is why I am asking for some support from
my friends, the members of the DMA.

Last year was a big surprise to me.  I participated in officer
discussions on line and on conference calls.  The first half of the
year went well, with a few small disagreements, which were resolved in
a reasonable manor.  However, in the weeks leading up to the fall tour
last year, there was a significant disagreement among the officers
about the interpretation of the bylaws as it pertains to the use of
funds by the president without approval. A lack of respect and decorum
grew between Dan, Marc and Kevin. These people had always been very
close friends and enthusiastic about the DMA, but were now no longer
on speaking terms. The 6 months following the fall tour were awful;
everything was a major battle with Dan.  It got personal and ugly,
with name-calling and horrible insults.

With Marc and Kevin replaced by new officers, it was my hope that all
of the fighting would be behind us.  Nothing could be further from the
truth.  Not long after this year's spring social, the club got a
request from a member of the public to rent a DeLorean for a private
party.  In the past, these requests were passed on to the members.  At
that point in time, officers and members would have an equal
opportunity to apply for these jobs.  In this case, veteran officer
Dan chose to apply for the job himself, choosing to not follow the
established protocol.  The discussions generated by this action have
continued on for several weeks now.  They have spurred discussions
about bylaw changes, which led to discussions about how to handle
meeting minutes.

The car rental issue itself has me concerned because there is a
conflict of interest if the officers now have the power to decide who
will be provided the opportunity for personal income through the
club's contacts.  By what criteria is this decision made?  And how are
the officers (current or future) qualified to make those decisions?
It is my opinion that the club should not be in the business of
renting DeLoreans.  As a service to our members, we should continue to
pass those requests directly to all the members. However, the car
rental discussion is secondary to the clear change in policy this
represents to the officers on how the club operates.  Those policies
are what the bylaws are for, and I therefore conclude this change
needs to go to the members to be processed as any bylaw changes would
be.  The majority of the current officers disagree with this, and I am
convinced this is a violation of our bylaws.

Our bylaws state that "The DMA will be governed by a committee of
officers with equal power." Therefore, votes will not always go my
way. There will be disagreements until the end of time, we just need
to have order and a proper way of dealing with them. But, what is an
officer to do when he/she feels that the issue called to vote is not
up to the officers and therefore results in a violation of the member
approved bylaws? And then the issue is voted on and approved by a
majority vote, ignoring the fact that the very vote is a violation?
The DMA does not have the luxury of a court or judge to make these
decisions.  Final judgment must be determined by the members in the
form of who you elect as officers next spring.  To make that judgment,
the information needs to be clear, accurate, and available to all members.

The majority of the officers believe the members do not need to know
what we are doing.  One officer even said "There's no reason to share
the minutes. It is a club - members pay $15 to participate. The
members are not interested in what goes on at the meetings. If they
don't like it they can leave and at most are out $15 - and, we can
refund that if they want."  This is yet another violation of the
bylaws where it is clearly stated, "The Secretary shall record the
minutes and votes of all meetings and make them available to the
Officers and members."  I am not sure how it could be any clearer, yet
the officers still continue to argue over this in dozens of e-mails,
and multiple late night conference calls. It even generates into
steering the issues into personal insults in the style of a school
yard bully.

As the club deteriorated last year, so it has again this year.  Only,
I am the target now instead of Kevin and Marc. I can relate to why
they chose to no longer serve with Dan.  I suppose the same could be
said for Gary Gore, Dave Teitlebaum, Mike Deluca, Aaron Crocco, and
probably others I may have missed. Many of these people who helped
build the DMA into the club it is today are no longer members because
of the ongoing disrespect.  The common element in all of these
situations is "Evil" Dan.  I guess the name fits.

So I find myself in the same situation many before me have been in.
My personality is such that I cannot sit by and just let the injustice
continue.  But, do I remain an officer at the cost of my personal
health and sanity in hopes that next year will be better?  Or do I
give up like so many before me, and let the injustice continue for my
own personal well-being?  In the end it comes down to what the members
want.  That is the whole point of the club, to benefit ALL of the
members. As Officers, we are here to represent you and help throw
great events, not censor information to protect our own reputations.
Armed with this information, do the majority of the members care
enough to fight with me?  Or, it is "just a car club" and not worth
fighting for?

I also need to note here that the DMA Members Yahoo Group is currently
"owned" by DMA voting officers who may disagree with me taking this
information to the members.  It is possible that my access to the DMA
group may be restricted or removed based on this posting.  I encourage
you to copy me directly on any responses so I can have as much
information as possible to decide how to proceed.

Tiffany Olejnik
DMA ? Secretary

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional