[DML] Re: DeLorean Owners Association - NEW

[DML] Re: DeLorean Owners Association - NEW

I am one of many of the DOA's biggest critic's due to my unpleasant
experience many years ago as I posted in an earlier message.

However, after a few e-mails back and forth with Ken Baker we
finally connected on the phone this morning and spend a good 45
minutes openly talking about the past DOA, former board members and
Ed Bernstein's (D1) current involvement in the DOA.

In my opinion there is NO better way to get your questions answered
than by calling Ken directly.  I decided it was important enough to
not rely on e-mail where intent and meaning can be taking wrong or
out of context.

Ken is taking on a heavy load trying to change the tide within the
DOA as well as all of our past issues.  I know I have many!.....Our
talk was fruitful, honest and no holds barred. While Ken know he
can't please all of you, it is my fervent opinion that he is trying
very hard to do so.

I am comforted by the fact that a DOA President lives in Florida and
not SoCal.  I am encouraged to hear that Ken is actively working and
talking with Ken K and Steve from DMCH.

If you are a skeptic about the direction of the DOA, have questions
etc...by all means contact Ken and TALK to him.  Ken is not trying
to hide anything by asking people to talk to him directly.  It is
his belief (and I agree) that e-mail does not convey the same
meaning as hearing someones intent.  He is well aware that any mis-
step or someone taking something the wrong way as they read it will
create more issues.  Nobody should take his asking people to contact
him directly as anything other than the most honorable intentions.

My questions were answered and I am convinced there is a new
direction happening.  Let's all stop and take a deep breath and give
Ken the chance here to do something we have all wanted.  If any of
you are on the fence...please make the effort to talk to him
directly.

We have become a society that is finding it too easy to send an e-
mail and complain but will not take the time to do it in person on
the phone.  I think Ken deserves a fighting chance here and I hope
we all can put aside out "stuff" and give him the opportunity.

My baggage has been put away after all these years.  Please, please
let's as a group give this guy a break.  I am glad I talked to him
and I encourage those of you who are very vocal on this board to do
the same.  There is nothing sinister about his wanting to talk to
people on the phone....for God's sake!  It's my understanding one of
you "wanted it in writing".  If all of you jump down this guys
throat we may lose a change at someone who seems to REALLY care
about the future of our community.

Lack of communication is what most of you have complained about the
DOA. Here is a guy who is begging people to contact him so he can
tell you first hand what his hopes and goals are for the future of
the organization.   Some of you may not be happy no matter what
anybody connected with the DOA does....so be it.  But at least have
the nuts to talk to the guy before taking a position.

Again......I am not someone easily convinced about the DOA but I
have a great feeling about Ken and I hope some of our more vocal
critics will as well after they talk to him.....

Tom Watkins

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kevin Abato <delorean@...> wrote:

> Ken:  Perhaps it is best to field (publicly) some of the questions
that have
> already been asked several times here on the DML:
>
> 1.  What benefits does one get for having membership to the DOA?
> 2.  Where do the funds go?  (All organizations should be able to
make their
> treasury available to its members)
> 3.  Why has DOA not offered any assistance at the past two DCS
shows?  They
> had a presence in "the sandbox" but failed to play with everyone.
Instead,
> they sat quietly in their own corner
> 3.5.  Do you intend to recognize DCS as a national show and
dedicate
> resources to assisting with it?
> 4.  What is involved in your "revitalization" plan?
>
> Not trying to put you on the spot, but from the responses to this
thread, it
> is apparent that a major public relations miracle would be needed
to even
> remotely help the DOA in its attempt to rise from the ashes.
Single person
> to person phone calls will only further confusion, rumors, and
> misconception.  It might be best to answer some of these questions
asked by
> me (and others) here in this forum.
>
> I actually ran into a DOA officer at DCS and asked if they were
upset or
> displeased with my posts on this topic.  Shockingly I was told
that they had
> not read any of these posts and was not aware of mine (and other
peoples)
> feelings on the topic.  In hindsight, I am quite shocked that the
DOA would
> be unprepared to speak about their new effort (privately to me, or
in a
> public forum at DCS08) to revamp their image and revitalize
themselves.

> Kevin Abato
> Vin# 16680
> www.grenexmedia.com
> - I am back from DCS08 and have extra gas money now to put in more
then my
> "2 Cents"   ;)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional