[DML] Re: DeLorean Owners Association

I tend to agree with most everything that's been said on here in
regards to the DOA. While I've only been involved in the DeLorean
community about 10 years, the DOA has been pretty much out of touch
and obsolete since I've been around. Why? Because the Association
didn't evolve with the times, didn't keep up with technology, or
DeLorean owners themselves. I think their biggest downfall at the
moment is a total disconnect between what the Association presents
in their mags, and what REAL DeLorean owners are. The original
DeLorean owners/enthusiasts and the ones of today are an entirely
different breed. The original owners were mostly older white men
such as doctors, attorneys, and business owners who could afford an
exotic European car that cost almost twice as much as a Vette.
DeLorean owners today couldn't be more different. We can buy
DeLoreans today for less than the price of a new Honda Civic. This
means many owners are much younger... I would say the majority are
in their 20s, 30s, and 40s (I bought my first DeLo when I was 19).
Most all owners I've encountered are of a much more modest
background as well... we're all middle class working folk for the
most part. There are a growing number of lady owners too. For the
DOA to become relevent, it needs to embrace all these changes. They
need to appeal to people who come from more modest means, who are
from around the globe, who are in a highly digital society.

I agree with what several people have said too... a
national/international club is pretty well useless for most of us.
Perhaps the DOA could come up with some sort of a strategy for
forming more regional sub-clubs under the umbrella of the DOA? The
one thing I can give the DOA is they've always had excellent
merchandise. Neat posters, cups, shirts, keychains, etc are always
going to have a market.

I think the one thing that could keep the DOA totally relevant and
useful is this: if the DOA can figure out a way to bring everyone
together in the community, then it would be worth saving. By that I
mean they need to find a way to bring all the splintering factions
within the DeLorean community together, and get them to work
together for the better good. Everyone from DeLorean One, to DMC-
Texas, John Hervey, PJ Grady, all the regional clubs, and online
forums. The DOA can no longer afford to turn it's nose up to anyone
who isn't within their confines, or a friend of DeLorean One. With
all those powers working together we really could have a much
stronger community that could offer far more to DeLorean owners and
enthusiasts alike. Of course this is all a bit hippie 60s idealogy,
but it's my two cents regardless.

Louie Golden
Charlotte, NC
Past owner of VINs 10115 and 5252