[DML] Re: DeLorean Owners Association

Ok....I'll say it.   Many people will never re-join the DOA until
more of older/past board members either leave or pass away.  While
many revere them for thier service to the community they were
obsessed with thier power over the community.  Some used intimidation
to squash dissent.  I recieved a call from a now deceased board
member (who thought I wouldn't know his voice...wrong!!) who told me
that someone would be at my house to "beat my head in with a baseball
bat" a day after I complained about preferential treatment for
Delorean One ads in Delorean World Magazine.  The person called my
office, asked for me directly.  Now where would somneone get my
private office number?....hmmm let's see, perhaps from a delorean
repair shop that had my private office number on file to contact me
when my car was ready.  Connect the dots folks.

The board was an elitist group hell bent on making sure they were the
ONLY source of information on our cars....WHY? you may ask.....well
since Mr. Bernstein ran Delorean One, a repair and service shop, I
think it's pretty obvious.

Let's not forget that it was the DOA that threatened James Espey when
he started the DML....yup,they were going to slap him with a lawsuit
to stop this forum.  Nice, eh?

Yes, years have past since those days but for long timers like me, it
still leaves a bad taste.  If Delorean One has ANYTHING to do with
the DOA or if Mr. Berstein has ANY involvement in the DOA, you will
most likely never see a mending of the rift.

It was standard practice by the DOA that if ANYONE complained about
the way they did things, you were labeled a "rabble rouser".  The DOA
would then whine that "Hey, we are just volunteers...leave us alone"
Basically, give us your money but if you don't voulnteer for the
board SHUT UP and don't have anything negative to say.

In my case I was threatned with physical violence.....some of  you
may say it's B.S. but when I went to the next DOA board meeting after
the phone call, you could hear a pin drop when I told them about it.
The guy who made the call would not even make eye contact with me.
Some of the comments at that 1989 meeting were...."Nobody would do
that"  "why would we?..(get ready....)"We're just volunteers"

YUP!!! they used the "volunteer" line with me!!!

Good Luck Ken......I wish you the best. but past B.S. has tainted the
DOA for some forever.

Tom Watkins

> Jack,
>
> I can appreciate that in the past. If you look at our current our
current board, only three of the eight members are from California.
The rest are from Florida, Pennsylvania, Missouri, and Belfast. What
once was a California based club has grown to become an International
Association. Our regions all across the US are looking for people to
become involved. Jack where are you from?

> All the Best,
>
> Ken Baker
> President
> DeLorean Owners Association

office or do anything with the group if you did not live in CA. That
alone isolated the DOA from most of the country....
> Jack.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: