Re: [DML] DeLorean Thoughts While Raking Pine Straw (COME TO DCS!!)

Re: [DML] DeLorean Thoughts While Raking Pine Straw (COME TO DCS!!)

Bill (and others),

If you are going to have a discussion about your
personal choices on a public mailing list, you should
expect that other members of the list will partake in
the discussion (for, or against).  I would argue that
by posting to the list IT IS YOUR INTENT to have this
discussion.

Farrar clearly posted his intention of having you help
him install a carburetor to start this discussion.  I
have NO PROBLEM with that at all, but it seems silly
for both of you to now be claiming persecution because
some of us "took the bait".  It is not like there are
a pack of us with torches and shovels coming to hunt
you down because you have a carburetor!!

What has me really disturbed about your message Bill,
is you need to take a shot at DCS.  Ken and his family
clearly have the most "at stake" when it comes to DCS.
 The show has grown, and people like me, Cliff, Josh,
and many others have made significant commitments for
the past few years to helping Ken.

DCS has done nothing wrong.  Even while Ken and I
continue to argue the merits of competition an the
show, including Concours, at the end of the day he is
correct when he says it is a draw to the show.  It has
been made clear more than ever that YOU DO NOT NEED TO
COMPETE AT DCS. The show has enough going on that
everyone, no matter why they came, will have something
to enjoy.

As for "attitudes of intolerance and arrogance", I
assume you are talking about individuals??  I can tell
you that the show itself does NOT do this.  Funny
thing is, it is "attitudes of intolerance and
arrogance" on the part of the DOA that got most of us
to go to Ken's shows!  I can't defend the actions of
individuals at the show, but I can tell you with an
expected 700 people there I am SURE that everyone can
enjoy themselves, and avoid the small number of people
there that YOU may find objectionable.  Trust me, I
know, I have been avoided by a number of people at
these events and it has zero impact on my enjoyment.
In many ways, it is amusing.

The show itself does not "force independent and
autonomous owners to do things with their cars that
they do not want to do", and best I can tell neither
do the owners and participants in DCS.  I think this
persecution is in your own mind... Maybe you want to
be a martyr?

I think it is a poor decision to put a Carburetor on a
DeLorean.  However, I have said many times on this
list and to you in person that I admire your skills to
do it.  I also admire a number of other things you
have done to your car, even if I would choose to not
do them to my own.  Many have said the same about
other highly modified cars that come to DCS.  What
kind of fool puts TWO engines in a DeLorean??  While,
the crowd of people form around Ricks car to admire
his work..  A monster truck?  A hover craft? Not my
cup of tea either, yet Rich had his own section in
Chicago to display his amazing work.

ROOMS ARE STILL AVAILABLE!  So, there is still time to
sign up if you have not already!

See you at DCS!  30 days to go!!

http://deloreancarshow.com/

--- content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Oh -- almost forgot my best thought! Diversity is
> good. Monolithism
> and dogmatism are bad. When diversity is discouraged
> and stamped out,
> you start down a slippery slope towards fascism and
> totalitarianism.
> Human history is tragically replete with examples of
> people being
> forced and coerced into narrow options and patterns
> not of their own
> choosing. When I use the term "K-Jet Nazis," it is
> not entirely tongue
> in cheek....

<SNIP>

> Two owners have told me off list that they are
> intentionally forgoing
> DCS because of prevailing attitudes of intolerance
> and arrogance. I
> can't say that I relish the thought of being
> subjected to such abuse
> myself, which I know awaits even if I manage to
> escape Ken's judged
> contests. But the truth can be a cruel mirror. If
> this community tries
> to force independent and autonomous owners to do
> things with their
> cars that they do not want to do, that is bad. If
> this community tries
> to ostracize owners or make them feel like second
> class citizens for
> making decisions that are rightfully within their
> purview, that is
> bad. If this community does such things, the
> lifestyle of DeLorean
> ownership will suffer.
<SNIP>

<*> Your email settings: