[DML] Re: Tail Light Bulb Number (Modified Boards)

[DML] Re: Tail Light Bulb Number (Modified Boards)

For *LESS* than $20, you can modify your tail light boards as follows:

Replace the single filament sockets at positions 2 and 4 with dual
filament (1157 bulb) sockets. This allows you to burn one filament for
tail, and both filaments for brake.

DeLoreans look ridiculous at night with only two paltry lenses
illuminated.

The former tail light socket (position 3) can be tied to the brake
circuit so that every red lens lights up. To recap:

Tail lights: Positions 2 and 4
Brake lights: Double bright positions 2 and 4, plus position 3
(everything red)

Note that I also have a third brake light visible through the sunshade.

This is a rear lighting package much more consistent with traditional
automobile practice.

My turn and backup lights are still factory original.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp@...> wrote:
>

> Wow!  I never thought the light bulb question would generate so much
interest.  Here's the scoop:

> Kayo asked for the bulb that is on all the time.  The only bulb that
stays illuminated continuously when your parking lights are on is the
center bulb on the board.  ALL other bulbs are 1156 bulbs.  This is
also the tail light section that is widest on the car, and the only
one that should have a reflector in it.

> The factory tail light circuit boards will tell you the type of
bulb, as well as the intensity in candle power of the bulb.  All
sockets call for a 32 candlepower (the equivalent to somewhere around
25W), *except* the running light bulb, which is a type 89, 6
candlepower (about 5W) bulb.  Since the original is pretty dim, Rob
calls for a 5008, which gets you almost the same bulb in 10W.  Putting
one of the 1156 bulbs in the socket designed for the smaller bulb will
eventually melt the reflector inside.

> So, to recap, on a factory spec car, driver's side, facing the rear
of the car, the bulbs from left to right are:

> - Turn signal (1156, only lights up with the flasher)
> - Brake light (1156, only lights up when you hit the brakes)
> - Tail light (originally an 89, now replaced with a 5008, only
lights up when the parking lights or head lights are on, the only
socket with a reflector)
> - Brake light (1156, only lights up when you hit the brakes, same as
opposite side)
> - Reverse light (1156, only lights up when car is in reverse)
>
> If your car isn't this way, it was either modified by a previous
owner, or modified for a different country, etc.  Some people have
missing reflectors because the tail light cluster (easy to get) was
replaced with no reflector (hard to get).

> Happy Lighting,
>
> Jake Kamphoefner
> 1063

<*> Your email settings: