[DML] Re: Tail Light Bulb Number

Both my stock tail lights have reflectors in all locations except for
the running lights.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp@...> wrote:

> Wow!  I never thought the light bulb question would generate so
much interest.  Here's the scoop:

> Kayo asked for the bulb that is on all the time.  The only bulb
that stays illuminated continuously when your parking lights are on
is the center bulb on the board.  ALL other bulbs are 1156 bulbs.
This is also the tail light section that is widest on the car, and
the only one that should have a reflector in it.

> The factory tail light circuit boards will tell you the type of
bulb, as well as the intensity in candle power of the bulb.  All
sockets call for a 32 candlepower (the equivalent to somewhere around
25W), *except* the running light bulb, which is a type 89, 6
candlepower (about 5W) bulb.  Since the original is pretty dim, Rob
calls for a 5008, which gets you almost the same bulb in 10W.
Putting one of the 1156 bulbs in the socket designed for the smaller
bulb will eventually melt the reflector inside.

> So, to recap, on a factory spec car, driver's side, facing the rear
of the car, the bulbs from left to right are:

> - Turn signal (1156, only lights up with the flasher)
> - Brake light (1156, only lights up when you hit the brakes)
> - Tail light (originally an 89, now replaced with a 5008, only
lights up when the parking lights or head lights are on, the only
socket with a reflector)
> - Brake light (1156, only lights up when you hit the brakes, same
as opposite side)
> - Reverse light (1156, only lights up when car is in reverse)
>
> If your car isn't this way, it was either modified by a previous
owner, or modified for a different country, etc.  Some people have
missing reflectors because the tail light cluster (easy to get) was
replaced with no reflector (hard to get).

> Happy Lighting,
>
> Jake Kamphoefner
> 1063

<*> Your email settings: