[DML] Re: Speedo gear rpm.

This is an interesting topic in that recently I replaced my binnacle
and my broken trip odometer. When I put everything back together my
speedometer was way off, obviously I did something wrong when putting
it back together and it was much more than simply installing the
needle in the wrong place. There appeared to be no coorelation
between how fast I was travelling and the variance in the gauge.

I took it out and had it calibrated and reconditioned by a
speedometer and radio repair shop. The cost was $125, they cleaned
it, replaced worn parts and recalibrated it. The gentleman who
performed the job said the speedometer came from GM and this was not
his first Delorean speedometer. I suppose that means it could be
metric but color me suspicious. If I get the chance I'll call him
back and ask his thoughts.

What a huge difference, the needle has not been this rock solid since
1985 when we first purchased the car. There is absolutely no bounce
in the needle at any speed and obviously the price was much cheaper
than buying a new speedo. I've checked it against my wife's car and
it appears to be accurate. One of these days, I'll get a GPS and
really test its accuracy. It was worth every penny now that the
needle bounce is totally gone!

However, life is never perfect is it..... I obviously did something
wrong again as my fuel gauge is completely dead. Although the low
fuel light still works. :-)

fyi- I am really tired of crawling under the steering wheel to take
off my binnacle....

Dan Haney
03254

<*> Your email settings: