[DML] Re: $20K DeLorean Rule (Bill Robertson)

[DML] Re: $20K DeLorean Rule (Bill Robertson)

I don't think that anyone is "against" Bill modifying his car. In fact
most would admire his accomplishments. My problem is he shouldn't say
anything is easy or "cheap". Most owners are not as handy as he is and
can not duplicate what he has done. Even if his modifacations did not
cost much, to have to pay a mechanic to do them would be expensive.
There are no short-cuts. If you buy a POS you will spend a lot of time
and money on it and if you spend a lot more for a "pretty" car you
will spend less to fix it up and enjoy it sooner. We can argue about
the $20K rule but either way you will spend a lot of money. Like the
ad on TV, "You can pay me NOW or you can pay me LATER!" By your own
admission he has 7 years into the car to make it what it now is. Not
everyone wants to wait. I can also admire Curtiss's car but I would
not do that stuff to my car.

The bottom line is that if you buy that "bargain" that was sitting in
a garage for years you MUST have a reserve fund to be able to spend
what it WILL take to fix the car up. The $20K rule is just a guide to
help budget what it will really cost. Factors can affect that # like
just how nice you want the car to be, how origional, how much work you
can actually do yourself, etc. Don't forget the time it also will take
to fix up that "beater" as opposed  to spending more up front and
getting a nicer car.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louie" <louie@...> wrote:

> I feel I have to chime in on this since I've known Bill longer than
> any of the other DeLorean owners here, and have undoubtedly spent
> more time with him than anyone on the DML. I'm very much getting
> tired of people trying to shush Bill all the time when they don't
> even know him personally, and haven't seen his car lately. I am the
> first to admit, when Bill first got his DeLorean it looked like he
> pulled the poor thing out of a swamp, the car was just pitiful. When
> he first carbureted his car it was jetted so rich that when his
> secondaries kicked it, the car was totally drowned in fuel and it

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)