[DML] Re: $20K DeLorean Rule (Bill Robertson)

[DML] Re: $20K DeLorean Rule (Bill Robertson)

I feel I have to chime in on this since I've known Bill longer than
any of the other DeLorean owners here, and have undoubtedly spent
more time with him than anyone on the DML. I'm very much getting
tired of people trying to shush Bill all the time when they don't
even know him personally, and haven't seen his car lately. I am the
first to admit, when Bill first got his DeLorean it looked like he
pulled the poor thing out of a swamp, the car was just pitiful. When
he first carbureted his car it was jetted so rich that when his
secondaries kicked it, the car was totally drowned in fuel and it
would start choking and stumbling. But over the past 7 years he has
been slowly and methodically chipping away at his car piece by
piece. The two times I've seen the car the past few months I could
hardly believe it was the same automobile. He has cleaned and
detailed the engine bay, even made new vacuum diagrams to illustrate
the fact he is carbed, not fuel injected. ANY idiot could work on
the car, I absolutely assure you of that. He's also made a custom
air cleaner assembly and added the DMC sticker on the air cleaner.
He's painted all the black trim on the car, painted the fascias,
installed new carpet in the interior, and new PJ Grady (aka DMC-
Texas) seatcovers. The car isn't just presentable now, it's becoming
downright sharp.

The modifications you've spoken of aren't some sort of basement
witchcraft, they're common sense items such as making the
sidemarkers also function as turn signals, and rewiring the tail
lamps so more of the lense lights up when you put on the brakes. He
has wired lights into the car that illuminate his footwells and
parcel shelf. His modifications make the car more safe without a
doubt. I don't know what you're expecting, but when you look at his
car, it looks very much stock. It doesn't look like some sort of
Franken DeLorean that's been hacked together. I've been in the
community for 10 years, and have driven at least a dozen DeLoreans
(probably more), and his car drives and rides as good or better than
a stock one. It certainly is a good deal quicker than a stock PRV.
It even gets comperable/better gas mileage than a stock car. And it
idles right! At the DMA event last weekend there were so many
DeLoreans that had high/erratic idle... Bill's carbed car was one of
the few that didn't. Also unlike a bunch of $20k+ DeLoreans I've
seen with $5k stereos, he actually has working AC too! Not just
working AC, but AC so cold that it'll run you out of the car.

I guess all I'm saying is this: if you are a naysayer of Bill, you
haven't seen his car in 2008. His car is turning into a downright
nice example of the marque, and I guarantee it'll out perform and
will be infinitely more reliable than ~any~ stock DeLorean. I used
to be of the $20k (now $25k) school of thought as well. At one time
I was also one who wanted to keep the car as stock as possible. But
the car that Bill only has $12k in **TOTAL** looks better than now
than most of the cars for sale in that $25k price bracket, and I
guarantee his is engineered so that it'll give you much more time
behind the wheel. Bill may not be conventional, but he knows what
the hell he's doing, and his modifications and experimentations only
help ALL of us in the end. We all own/have owned/will own cars that
went extinct almost 3 decades ago now. Parts aren't getting any
cheaper for them, or more plentiful. And arguably the number of
people/shops who can work on the DeLorean is shrinking. The fact
that Bill is out there questioning the status quo is good for ALL of
us! Not just people who aren't conventional, or on a budget. So
before any of you pick on Bill, I urge all of you to put up or shut
up. Go see and drive his car, and THEN if you still think you have
grounds to pick on him, by all means have at it. Otherwise, this
online feuding is quite pointless and truly detracts from the
DeLorean community. We have to remember, there are enough people who
don't like our cars, why should we not like each other too? We're a
minority as DeLorean people, and we should all be in this together!!

Louie Golden
Charlotte, NC
Past owner of VINs 10115 and 5252

<*> Your email settings: