[DML] Re: New Gas Blends and older cars (Martin Gutkowski)

[DML] Re: New Gas Blends and older cars (Martin Gutkowski)

[moderator's note: this thread has become barely on-topic.  Further posts should be related to the car, the man, and ownership. ]

[Better cut & paste this paragraph first to keep things topical]:
Regarding K-Jet vapor issues: The injectors open around 45 PSI or so.
Don't know how much PSI fuel vapors produce (enough to sometimes shut
a gas pump off when you first try to fill the tank), but if the vapors
were more than 45 PSI, wouldn't they crack the injectors and bleed the
lines at least back down to there? The pump puts out nearly twice
injector pressure, so it should have no problem pushing them from the
rear. Of course you're dependent upon the air sensor plate & metering
piston to get that pressure into the lines, but wouldn't simply
opening the throttle plates accomplish that? I wonder how many K-Jet
owners with hot start issues have ever tried flooring the accelerator
pedal while cranking.

I engineered a carburetor from a '76 Mustang onto a PRV that was never
designed for such, replete with vehicle modifications such as a custom
tank pickup (my low PSI pump is frame rail, not submersible, yet I
managed to engineer it dryly into a stock DeLorean tank boot). Rest
assured I don't just "think" I understand carburetion -- I actually do
understand it, quite well.

And rest assured my installation was quite intentional -- every bit as
intentional as your engine mods.

Verifiable reasons I "assume" carburetion, at least as I installed it,
is preferable to K-Jet:
- Less expensive
- More reliable
- Better performing
- *MUCH* smaller footprint (easy access to other engine components)
- Centralized point of fuel metering (all cylinders guaranteed to
receive the same fuel/air mixture)
- More tolerant of fuel impurities and quality variations
- 100% self contained (no external enrichment gizmo's)
- Fuss proof
- *MANY* fewer points of potential vacuum leaks

Plus it has the side benefit of irritating the mess out of certain
British friends....

You seem to think I do not understand K-Jet. I understand it so well
that it's the absolute last thing I want on my DeLorean. My old
Eurospec setup was almost tolerable,  but it still had those access
and vacuum leak issues. Having tasted the forbidden fruit of
carburetion, I shall never go back.

BTW: Check out all the unused electrical connectors piled up in the
corner of my engine compartment. I considered cutting them out, but
decided to leave them in place as my homage to K-Jet.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@...> wrote:
>
> Bill, do you actually understand what happens in a K-Jet engine that
> causes the hot starting problems? Where in the system the fuel
> vapourises and why it can't simply be cleared by running the pump?
>
> I get the feeling you're completely missing the point.
>
> EFI cars don't suffer from vapour lock either, and they don't
maintain a
> rest pressure or use an accumulator. I know why, but I think you don't.
> You just assume that your carb setup is "better" because you think you
> understand it.
>
> Martin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional