From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
David Teitelbaum
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:11 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: clutch

If you are doing "just" the clutch on a lift with all the tools, all
of the parts, and nothing unusual happens it should be doable in under
4 hours. I am sure the vendors can give you a better estimate.
Unfortunetly things never go smoothly. Broken bolts, leaky seals,
wrong parts, not knowing exactly which bolts and where they are, are
all things that can go wrong. They may find a broken motor mount, have
to adjust the shift linkage, bleed the clutch (or find a leaky
cylinder) etc and this can add a lot of time. Many shops are very
hesitant to use a customer's parts because if they don't fit the car
is stuck on their lift all apart. They also can't mark up the parts
and make money on them too. In these cases they will quote a high
price and not go by an hourly rate. Expect to pay around $500 with the
possibility it could go higher. As for the "clutch kit" it should
include a pressure plate, a friction plate, a throwout bearing and a
pilot bearing. All bets are off if the flywheel is burnt. It will have
to be removed and ground. The grinding is only worth around $60 but
with the labor to R&R and the extra time it will take it can raise the
costs a lot. You are probably better off if you can get the car to one
of the vendors. They will have all of the necessary parts on hand,
know exactly what to do, and can give you a firm estimate. If you do
have to go elsewhere let them read the Workshop Manual. It will give
them a better idea of what they are in for.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

[moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings: