[DML] Re: Carburetion Saves The Day -- Cold Start Valve (Elvis Nocita)

[DML] Re: Carburetion Saves The Day -- Cold Start Valve (Elvis Nocita)

No, apparently I am the bad guy because I actually had the temerity to
point out that if DeLoreans are vapor locking all over the place, in
the middle of winter no less, then they are the first cars in fuel
injection history to have such a wide spread affliction. Never mind
the high pressure electric fuel pump. Never mind the fact that the
pump is located in the tank. Never mind the fact that the fuel system
is a circulatory loop. Never mind the fact that the gasoline being
pumped is full of MBTE (in the summertime at least). Apparently this
is one flaw from Dunmurry that everyone except myself can agree upon.

My engine is pretty much identical to yours, but fuel delivery is of
course radically different.

Regarding vacuum passages for the cold start valve: Have you ever
encountered a fuel injection system that sprays through a labyrinth of
tiny 3/16" plumbing. Designers love to route air all over the engine
compartment BEFORE the injectors, but once fuel is mixed they usually
go straight into the combustion chambers. Even throttle body
injection makes as direct a route into the cylinders as possible. I
guess DeLoreans are the first vehicles to turn what were previously
vacuum passages into tiny, convoluted injection mechanisms (must be
one hell of a cold start valve to make that tortuous route into the
engine, especially since it has to do so without the aid of vacuum).
Why didn't Douvrin route all the injectors that way? No wonder the
little silver cars are vapor locking all over the place.

As long as you're drawing diagrams, perhaps you could make one that
explains how the cold start passages manage to avoid the ravaging
effects of engine vacuum.

I've got a crisis in DC so I shan't be clogging your mailbox for a
week or two. Following that I may join your buddy Jordan wherever he's
decided to spirit himself away to. It's got to be a saner place than
around here.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis" <elvisnocita@...> wrote:
>
> Bill - I know I am the bad guy here, but let me tell you,
> that my car (Delorean DMC-12, VIN 6548, almost orignal condition,
> engine is orignal...) does not work as you described it today.
>
> maybe yours does ?
>

> RPM-Relay - why do you think this has a shutt-off function when
> cranking ? I have the schematic of it but I don't see any
> part that would allow it to work as you are trying to make us
> believe. Maybe your car is different ?
>
> I speak for my car and all the ones that I fixed the RPM-relays.
>
> once the NE555 on the board gets an ignition signal, it activates
> the relay for the fuel pump for 0.5..1s (I have to admit, I don't
> remember the exact time at the moment, but it is within that region).
> This means - if there are spark signals coming continuously, the
> relay stays on. once the Ignition ECU doesn't provide a spark
> signal anymore, the pump ist shut off within a second or close to it.
> On some cars the pump primes when turning the key, on some it doesn't.
> This is due to the fact, that there are at least two - a bit
> different - RPM relay modells out there. the difference is minimal.
>
> Of course, when the starter sucks its current, the voltage goes down,
> but not enough to reset the NE555 or to stop the pump.
>
> The NE555 in this case works as a retriggerable monostable
> multivibrator.
>
> As the pump is working, and there has to be pressure on the system,
> the gas is sprayed in, not sucked out !
>
> I mean - ignition spark is increased by bypassing one resistor
> with a relay, but the fuel system would shutt off during cranking ??
> Fuel pressure is gone and you think the car can start somehow ???
> Not in my world....and BOSCH is less than an hour from here....
>
> I know I know you don't believe me, but maybe others can accept
> facts ?!? I have the schematic here. One drawn by Dave D. and
> one drawn by myself (only hand drawn yet...). These are basic
> circuits that can be found everywhere in books or internet...
>
> Hey - a simple test: does the valve spray gas when unscrewed from
> the pipe and the starter works ?
>
> Anybody out there who wants to test it and maybe proves it with pics
> or films ?
>
> Elvis the bad guy & 6548  :-)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional