From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Peter Lucas
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:21 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Re: Warm Start Issue -- Looking Elsewhere Than Fuel
System (David McKeen)

On Feb 10, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Harold McElraft wrote:

> I think it is a pressure problem. Your symptom description seems to
> confirm it.

I don't mean to be snippy, but you guys just aren't listening.  If you
search the archives, you will see that there have been many reports
over the years of a "warm start" problem.  This is different from the
classic "hot start" problem, which is indeed usually caused by a bad
accumulator.

Hot Start Problem:
This happens when the engine is hot. Like when you stop at the gas
station, fill the tank, and then are embarrassed because you can't get
the car restarted.   As Farrar's quotes from the service manual make
clear, this is caused by a very hot engine causing fuel to vaporize in
the system:

> "The accumulator maintains pressure in the fuel system to prevent fuel
> vaporization while the vehicle is not in use." --Tech manual, pages
> 46-47."

Whether you want to call this "vapor lock" or not doesn't matter, it
is heat-induced vaporization that causes "hot start" problems.

Warm Start Problem:
This occurs after the car has been sitting for several hours. This is
far longer than the specified minimum hold time for rest pressure--by
this point, the engine is assumed to be cool enough not to cause the
kind of vaporization that the accumulator is intended to prevent.
However, it is still warm enough that the cold-start valve is
inoperative. Something causes this problem, and it can't be the
accumulator (because according to spec, there isn't expected to be
rest pressure after several hours).

Many of us have been plagued by this problem, and I do not believe
that a definitive explanation has ever been forthcoming. (I am the
author of the article in the Tech Section on installing a full time
pressure sender -- http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/fuelpressend.htm
-- so I know how my fuel system behaves).  It is true that swapping
the plugs will solve both a Hot Start and a Warm Start problem, but
this does not make them the same thing.

Given that there have been several reports of the Warm Start Problem
beginning after a water pump swap or other major engine procedure, my
guess is that it is due to an accumulation of small problems, such as
vacuum leaks, improperly gapped spark plugs, etc.   But that is just
speculation--sure would be nice to nail a definitive explanation.
But blindly blaming the accumulator won't get us there.

--Pete Lucas
   VIN #06703

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional