Re: [DML] Tire pressure was proper wheel alignment specs

Re: [DML] Tire pressure was proper wheel alignment specs

Check out Message #72630.

The evidence I see points to an original design spec of 14 inch rims
the whole way round, eventually increased to 15 inches/265 mm in the
rear when final design produced such a significant rear weight bias
(to keep the car from passing itself in curves).

I have seen pictures of early plywood mockups with what look 14 inch
tires on all four wheels.

As a tire man you'll appreciate this: Unlike dually's, the center of
DeLorean's smaller front tires does not line up with the center of its
wider rears. Rather, the outside edges are in line with one another. I
can't help but wonder if this is an ascetic concession, because it
does de-emphasize the size differential. Also, if you measure a
DeLorean frame you'll find the front shock towers slightly wider than
the rear (43.62 inches versus 41.73 inches). Our frames are
trapezoidal, not rectangular.

In #5939's Yahoo photo album is a pic of my car with the spare (same
overall outside diameter as the front tires) mounted on the rear. This
is basically what the car would have looked like with 14 inch tires
the whole way round. We've become so accustomed to the production
appearance that same size tires on the rear actually look funny.

Speaking of spares: There just was a lively thread about not bothering
to carry one. General consensus was that spare tires no longer are
necessary. I disagree. What's your opinion as a tire professional?

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bruce Alan" <SingingMan@...> wrote:
>
> Group,
>
> Guess I must be used to dealing with vehicles with a much higher GVW
than
> the DeLo.
> What really matters, as one person has said is that the tire tread
is in
> even contact with the roadway from side to side, hence better tread
wear
> and better contact with the road for adhesion and control.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)