Re: [DML] Tire pressure was proper wheel alignment specs

Re: [DML] Tire pressure was proper wheel alignment specs

Group,

Guess I must be used to dealing with vehicles with a much higher GVW than
the DeLo.
What really matters, as one person has said is that the tire tread is in
even contact with the roadway from side to side, hence better tread wear
and better contact with the road for adhesion and control.   From what I
have seen from MANY of the OEM doorpost plates AND from owners manuals is
that the mfgr (and a many dealers) tends to UNDERinflate the tires in
order to give the owner a feel of a smoother ride - something that THEY no
doubt used as a selling point for the vehicle in the first place.   I will
have to agree with those here that noted tirewear as a good indicator of
what they CORRECT pressure is for your tire/vehicle combination.  It's
just always been easier for ME to see tire wear down the center rather
than along the outside, so that is why I personally start on the high side
and work down from there.

But then how many drivers NOW days pay much attention to their tire
pressure, much less take into consideration that if they are going to
drive a long distance on a HOT summer day that it might be a good idea to
take a break once into mthe journey and check tire pressures - more than
likely to let a little out ;)  Due to heat expansion of the air.
I've had people come in the tire store with 55-60 psi in their tires on a
hot summer day.   About the same number of casual drivers seem very
surprised when you tell them that air actually leaks OUT of their tires
through the rubber over a period of time ("I just checked the air in the
tires 6 months ago, and I haven't driven it hardly any since then!  How
can it be LOW !?")

Having not obtained my DeLo (yet), I will bow to those that have the
experience with them.  Also, I had no idea that the wheels were a
different size front-to-rear...   Why on earth did they (DMC) do THAT !?
And as for not having the weight in the front,  that makes total sense.
Is it the front rims that are taller ?  Hence the reverse rake look of the
DeLo ?
If there is ONE thing I don't care for with the DeLo, THAT would be
it...   (doesn't quence my desire to have one ;)  Is it possible/advisable
to chance out that 'feature' and go with the same profile all around ???

This has turned out to be a nice discussion...  Thanks to all...
(good points David...)

Bruce

PS: I'd still rather FEEL the road than have a mushy ride...  If I wanted
a 'sleep number' of 10 going down the road, I'd get a Caddy ;)

--

Find out how you can get spam free email.
http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/3

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: