Re: [DML] Tire pressure was proper wheel alignment specs

Re: [DML] Tire pressure was proper wheel alignment specs

The front tires do not have that much weight on them so tread wear is
not the best indicator for loading or adjusting tire pressure. The
recommended pressure is 23#. 28 is rather high. You will have an
easier time steering but hitting potholes will shake you up more, the
tires won't "give" as much to absorb road shocks and vibrations. The
steering wheel will transmit more vibration and road surface 'feel'.
On one car I inspected they were using 40 psi all around. This is an
extreme example but the doors really shook hard (and they were closed
properly) and when we hit a bump it felt like the car left the ground!
I would suggest starting with the recommended pressures and if you
want to experiment at least you know how the car behaves at the
recommended pressures. For normal street driving it should not vary
more than 2 psi. Tire pressures should be checked cold, first thing in
the morning before driving, with an accurate gauge. At least once a
month. Don't forget the spare. I find it very difficult to rotate the
tires on a Delorean unless I am driving the car!!!!!!!!!! It is not
considered "good practice" to change the direction of a tire. Radial
tires develop a "wind up" and don't always like to be rotated in the
other direction. That's why on high speed tires they have a
directional mark. That and the tread pattern. Modern rotation is just
to move the tires front to back and not cross sides. And on most cars
not to include the spare for obvious reasons.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft@...> wrote:

> I run 28psi all the way around - OEM size Michelin Pilot XGT H4s.
>
> Even tire wear - rotated twice in 20,000 miles.
>
> In the past 24psi in front is too low for me and harder to turn.
>
> 30psi in the rear gave me too much center tread wear. I still have a
> slight center wear.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: