[DML] Re: Source for proper wheel alignment specs?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> Once you put the new tires on, the car should go straight,
> not pull to either side, the steering wheel should be centered
> and not shake, and when accelerating or braking the car should
> want to stay stable and straight. There should be NO play or
> looseness in the steering. In short, the car should not give
> you any surprises.

David, thanks for all the good info. My old tires are still on the
car. Currently my steering wheel is not centered. When driving
straight down the road it's cocked to the left just enough to be
noticeable. It was that way when I bought it three years ago. When you
release the wheel in the center lane on the highway, the car tracks
pretty straight. Should I have the steering wheel centered? Other than
looking odd I didn't think it made a mechanical difference.

On the freeway/highway I do get some shaking in the steering wheel,
but I assumed that was from the flat spots that had developed in my
current tires when a previous owner let the car sit for several years.
I don't seem to recall any pulling to the left or right during
acceleration and breaking, but the brakes feel out of round (w/ no
pulsing felt in the brake pedal) when stopping. There is no play or
looseness in the steering.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bruce Alan" <SingingMan@...> wrote:

> If your local alignment shope has any sort of recent alignment
> rack, the system SHOULD have your DeLo in the database. If they
> KNOW what they are doing, they should be able to juswt entere the
> make/model/year and that should do it.

Thanks Bruce!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> Not all machines have Deloreans in the database but there
> should be a way for them to enter a "custom" set of specs
> manually. The front and rear tires are different sizes so you
> can't pick the ones with the "least" weight for the fronts...

I've been told at least one local shop has the DeLorean in their
database, but if the shop I choose to use does not should I give them
what written in the owners manual, or technical service bulletin
"ST-34-1/82: SUSPENSION ALIGNMENT - FRONT AND REAR" that was issued on
1/22/82" to use to align the suspension?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> ALWAYS use the tire pressures on the label on the glovebox door.
> The pressures on the tires are the maximum pressures for the
> maximum load. Don't deviate more than  1 lb or 2 for
> maximum life, ride handling, comfort, safety and performance.

I thought the glovebox door label & owners manual recommended tire
pressures were only for the OEM Goodyear NCTs, and that you follow the
air pressure recommendations from the manufactures of any different
brand tires you put on the car?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> ...Of course Goodyear and Firestone
> have no idea what kind of vehicle that tire will ultimately be
> installed on. For example, the exact same Goodyear Integrity,
> 235/75-15, runs 26-28 PSI on my Lincolns and 35 PSI on my F-150.
> That's why manufacturers post their own recommended inflation
> pressures. Use the manufacturer's specs of course.

Tire manufacturer or vehicle manufacturer recommended inflation pressures?

Should I be using 23psi & 30psi on any brand/model of 195/60R14 &
235/60R15 I put on the car? I'm running my current BFG Radial T/As at
those pressures now.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
Tempe, AZ