[DML] Re: Source for proper wheel alignment specs?

[DML] Re: Source for proper wheel alignment specs?

It isn't the worst thing in the world if the steering wheel is not
centered. The main effect is that it may knock off the turn signal too
early on one side especially if it is way off. If you knew it WAS
centered and then one day you noticed it no longer was then you would
have an indication of a problem. If you go for an alignment and the
shop does not center the wheel it is mainly sloppiness and/or
laziness. To do it requires adjusting the toe on both wheels as
opposed to only one so it requires slightly more effort on the part of
the shop. It is normal for some shake usually at a particular speed.
That speed can vary depending on the tires and the road. Modern radial
tires do not "flat spot" and if they do it will go away after driving
just a couple of miles. If the tires are over 7 years old all bets are
off, they should be replaced.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan" <djdanwilson@...> wrote:

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@> wrote:
> >
> > Once you put the new tires on, the car should go straight,
> > not pull to either side, the steering wheel should be centered
> > and not shake, and when accelerating or braking the car should
> > want to stay stable and straight. There should be NO play or
> > looseness in the steering. In short, the car should not give
> > you any surprises.
>
> David, thanks for all the good info. My old tires are still on the
> car. Currently my steering wheel is not centered. When driving
> straight down the road it's cocked to the left just enough to be
> noticeable. It was that way when I bought it three years ago. When you
> release the wheel in the center lane on the highway, the car tracks
> pretty straight. Should I have the steering wheel centered? Other than
> looking odd I didn't think it made a mechanical difference.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)