[DML] Re: Cooling Fan Fail Light & Relay Update

[DML] Re: Cooling Fan Fail Light & Relay Update

Scenerio #3: The original fan fail module would melt internally,
preventing the fans from coming on at all.

Your mod is quite common (I run a version of it myself). I'm not too
keen on the additional fuses because they aren't necessary (the
circuit is breaker protected further up the line) and I've seen too
many of those blade holders melt. Much better would simply be three
10 or 12 gauge wires without inline fuse holders (my mod).

The only limitation to the above mod is no dashboard light should
the fans fail. But you've got a water temp gauge sitting right in
front of you. If you're still running factory fans, there's no
mistaking when they come on. If the gauge passes your "otterstat"
temp and the fans don't start to shake your fillings loose, they've
obviously failed.

BTW: You can simply turn the A/C on to verify that the fan motors
still spin (doesn't diagnose "otterstat" issues of course).

If you don't like your fan fail mod, there are several alternative
modules available.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddelorean" <daviddelorean@...>
wrote:

> I'd like clarrification on the cooling fan relay update. My car
doesn't
> have a square relay in the slot for the cooling fans. It has a
triangle
> of wires and each wire has a 20amp fuse in it. I'm assuming this
is the
> upgrade.
>
> In any case I've been given two scenerios as for the reason for
this
> and I'd like to narrow down the correct one...
>
> Scenerio #1 - the cooling fan fail light was triggered by the fans
> pulling high voltage, which would happen if they did in fact fail.
But
> high voltage was also pulled when they initially turned on.
Drivers saw
> the light come on frequently when the fans came on and freaked out
> because they thought the fans failed.  The relay upgrade was
needed to
> simply get rid of the fan fail light completely.
>
> Scenerio #2 - the original relay would over heat and was a fire
hazard.
> The relay upgrade eliminated the original relay and fire hazard,
and as
> an unwanted side effect over rode the fan fail light.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)