RE: [DML] Cooling Fan Fail Light & Relay Update

David, See below:

-----Original Message-----
From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
daviddelorean
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:23 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Cooling Fan Fail Light & Relay Update

I'd like clarrification on the cooling fan relay update. My car doesn't
have a square relay in the slot for the cooling fans. It has a triangle
of wires and each wire has a 20amp fuse in it. I'm assuming this is the
upgrade.

( David, To clarify what you are talking about is the Fan Fail Module ( Not
relay ) in the blue socket to the far left of the first row of relay's. The
fan relay is the relay to the right of the blue socket or the fan fail
module.)

In any case I've been given two scenerios as for the reason for this
and I'd like to narrow down the correct one...

Scenerio #1 - the cooling fan fail light was triggered by the fans
pulling high voltage, which would happen if they did in fact fail.

( David, The light would come on when the fans draw to much current or more
of one or the other. This could mean fail or a motor getting older and just
drawing to much current than the other to create an off balance which would
trigger the light to come on. Most of the time it was just getting older and
maybe beginning to fail.)

But high voltage was also pulled when they initially turned on. (  You mean
higher current ) Drivers saw the light come on frequently when the fans came
on and freaked out because they thought the fans failed.  The relay upgrade
was needed to simply get rid of the fan fail light completely.

( The 3 wire jumper with or w/out fuses was the temporary factory fix till
something could be done.)

Scenerio #2 - the original relay would over heat and was a fire hazard.
The relay upgrade eliminated the original relay and fire hazard, and as
an unwanted side effect over rode the fan fail light.
( Yes the module would over heat and normally would melt due to the current
draw over a long period of time, then the jumper was put in and you had no
more indication thru the lights that the fans were overloading the circuit.)

David, The best thing is to get the heat out of the kitchen as the old
saying goes by replacing the fans with the new modular pancake fans that
draw about 1/3rd the current. Same cooling affect and no more current
problems. All the relay devices built to fix the problem didn't eliminate
the current draw problem only handled it better than the original design.
By replacing the fans the car will run better and will free up about 20 amps
to be used elsewhere.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/cooling-fans.html

John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com