[DML] Re: Cooling Fan Fail Light & Relay Update

[DML] Re: Cooling Fan Fail Light & Relay Update

The fan fail relay senses the current to both of the fan motors. If
one should not run it senses the imbalance and would light the fan
fail light. The problem is that it can't handle the current and
eventually burns out causing both fans to fail (and the light won't
light). The Factory realized this and put out a service bulletin to
pull the relay and stick in the jumper wire as a temporary fix until
they could come up with a more permanant solution. The "best" thing we
had was the Fanzilla which emulated the fan fail relay but did it with
solid-state parts and could handle the current. They are out of
production. There are other options now available. Keep an eye on that
fan fail bypass wire, I personally have seen them melt down. At the
first signs (or smells) of overheating you must replace it! What you
also have to check is if you have the relay upgrade kit installed. It
consists of some relays and 2 circuit breakers. I would also check
every fuse in the fusebox to be sure each is the corrrct size for it's
location. Leave the plastic cover off to allow for more airflow. Pull
the big red wire that goes to the Locking Module. It melts too and
will lock you in the car while it fries the door solenoids and kills
the battery.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddelorean" <daviddelorean@...> wrote:

> I'd like clarrification on the cooling fan relay update. My car doesn't
> have a square relay in the slot for the cooling fans. It has a triangle
> of wires and each wire has a 20amp fuse in it. I'm assuming this is the
> upgrade.
>
> In any case I've been given two scenerios as for the reason for this
> and I'd like to narrow down the correct one...
>
> Scenerio #1 - the cooling fan fail light was triggered by the fans
> pulling high voltage, which would happen if they did in fact fail. But
> high voltage was also pulled when they initially turned on. Drivers saw
> the light come on frequently when the fans came on and freaked out
> because they thought the fans failed.  The relay upgrade was needed to
> simply get rid of the fan fail light completely.
>
> Scenerio #2 - the original relay would over heat and was a fire hazard.
> The relay upgrade eliminated the original relay and fire hazard, and as
> an unwanted side effect over rode the fan fail light.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)