[DML] Re: FUEL VENT TUBE

The metal rod in the tank serves to ground the internals of the tank
to the metal fill so the nozzle has something to ground to when
inserted. It is supposed to be connected to a wire that is attached to
one of the screws that holds the fill fitting. Since the tank is
plastic there needs to be some kind of grounding system to prevent any
static electricity from sparking. You are correct, I have never seen
any paperwork on it either although it must have existed at one time.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike clemens <rmclemns@...> wrote:

> My question concerns the fuel vent tube (#106683) that
> is installed in the fuel tank.  I understand why you
> need a vent system on the fuel tank, what I am
> wondering about is why there is 24 inch long, 3/16
> inch diameter (copper?) solid wire attached to the
> plug that fits into the vent hole of the tank??
>
> When properly inserted into the tank, this wire is
> routed to the aft center of the fuel tank and is free
> to rotate approximately 20 degrees left and right.
> The wire is permanently swedged or soldered to the
> vent plug, so it cannot be removed from the plug
> itself.
>
> What purpose does this wire perform?  The manual has
> nothing about it, that I have been able to find.
>
> Mike   TPS    1630

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional