[DML] Re: Fuel Metering

Exactly when did I ever "advocate that everyone should rip the
K-Jet off their car and put a carbureator"? Those words have *NEVER*
been written or spoken by me. I specifically stated in it, as I always have, that those who prefer forced injection should pursue those avenues. It would appear opinions or preconceived notions are overriding my particular words.

Every time this topic comes up, your reaction is quite visceral
against carburetion. I suspect you had bad experiences with it in the
past. For that, I am sorry.

BTW: Your post praises Marc and Dave D. because they "they tell us
about it [DeLorean engineering alternatives] for our information" but
chastises me for doing the same. I consider that a double standard.

The simple fact remains: carburetion *IS* a viable fuel metering
method. You obviously do not like it, and for that reason alone should
not consider it.

As we speak I am in direct conversation with yet another owner who
wants to try it for his DeLorean. As always intake manifolds are the
limiting factor. Jeff Friday was selling custom manifolds, but has
since gotten out of the business. In his absence I am pursuing the
possibility of modifying a 3.0/B280 manifold. Experimentation *IS*
part of the enjoyment of DeLorean ownership (just ask Marc or Dave D.).

Note also: Carburetion does not require "spending a large sum of
money." My conversion cost about $300.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:
>
> The auto manufacturers went to fuel injection to improve fuel economy
> and reduce emsissions, especially during the warm-up cycle.
> Carbureated cars always had warm-up problems and cold driveability.
> Difficult to properly atomize fuel especially with the cooling effect
> of the venturi. They started with mechanical injection systems, moved
> to hybrid systems (like we have on the Delorean) and have gotten to
> full digital control. I agree that the system on the Delorean is NOT
> fully digital and it can be improved by removing it and replacing it
> with a true, fully digital fuel injection system. Not going backwards
> to a carbureator. The tiny improvements gained by spending a large sum
> of money to replace the fuel system makes no sense. You are correct in
> that the main thrust of this group is to try to keep and maintain the
> Delorean in as origional condition as is possible. Some things can
> (and need) to be improved like the electrical system. Other things
> such as the fuel system are fine and can be made to operate very
> reliably without wholesale replacement. I (and many I guess) like to
> hear about improvements and modifacations owners make to their car. I
> find it interesting and in some cases useful. That's how we make the
> car more reliable and safe. To advocate that everyone should rip the
> K-Jet off their car and put a carbureator on is not necessarily the
> "best" advice for a majority of the readers of this list. For one
> thing not everyone is as talented as you are and are capable of doing
> this kind of work. Another problem is ongoing support and maintaince.
> None of the vendors would touch such a modifacation with a ten foot
> pole! Their first impression would be to remove it and go back to
> stock. Mark Levy changed his motor. I don't hear him saying everyone
> should pull their PRV and stick something else in. Dave Dellman pulled
> his motor and went electric. I don't think many will choose to follow
> his lead either. The point is neither are advocating their mods. They
> tell us about it for our information. As for making major changes to
> the car, the farther you stray from the origional car the less it is
> worth. This is not my opinion, this is the market forces and Deloreans
> are not immune.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings: