From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Bob Brandys
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 9:18 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] DeLorean Power Steering

Tom,

We have been actively investigating power Steering for the 2015
DeLorean.

The frame mounting area for the steering has two thicknesses of steel
frame. The lower portion of the frame is fairly thick metal and
provides the actual strength.   The upper portion of the frame is very
thin metal and gives it the box structure.

Since power Rack and pinion is larger in diameter than non power, we
need extra room for the power R & P.

What we are planning to do is cut open the top of the frame to fit the
larger diameter R & P.   Then fabricate bolt-on a heavy duty long plate
to add new stronger structure.  (I would like to do this in SS, but
haven't talked to Ken or Brian about this yet.)

The  power Rack and pinion we are investigating is the
electric/hydraulic one from the MR-2(late model).   This unit had a
number of controlling computers that make it function properly.

GM also made an electric/hydraulic power Rack and pinion for the Saturn
Vue, but it did not drive well and had so many complaints-GM dropped
it!!

Martin-these MR2- units appear to be more readily available in the UK.
(there is a guy on the web from england who sells replacement parts.)
Can you check the UK price for a complete unit including the computers?

This electric/hydraulic power Rack and pinion would all mount in front
of the car in the space available.  It would not require any hydraulic
pump on the motor long hydraulic lines.   It only has an 80 amp -
relay.

Bob

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

<*> Your email settings: