[DML] Re: Angle Drive

And now there's another nice chart in #5939's photo album....

Every owner is of course free to use whatever xRef he or she wants,
but I found the chart on DMCNEWS extremely difficult to read at a
glance. I wanted something as convenient as my formerly functioning
speedometer. After much experimentation, the following changes were
most beneficial:
- Rotating the columns 90 degrees
- Dropping 1st & 2nd gears (not really needed, with the possible
exception of 25 MPH -- hence my 2.4 in parentheses)
- Dropping the titles, subscripts, etc
- Switching to a sans-serif font
- Using single lines to delineate the chart
- Adding MPH xRef's on both sides
- Sizing the chart to fit the speedometer
I also needed something illuminated, since much of my driving is done
at night.

The chart on DMCNEWS is a bit large to be placing over the speedo
(will obscure volt and temp gauges). Wouldn't the trip odometer reset
button knock it down anyway?

When I was driving off my chart, just a quick glance at the tach and
adjacent chart was all I needed. Didn't even need to move my head --
only my eyes. I could determine my speed in well less than a second.

But if you prefer the other chart, by all means use it instead.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:
>
> There is already a nice chart of RPM/MPH for the 5-speed AND the
> automatic over at dmcnews.com/resource/rpm2mph.html. Print, cut, and
> laminate the appropriate chart for your car and leave it laying in the
> "pod" by the speedometer. The #'s can vary slightly depending on your
> tires but it is certainly close enough to keep you legal. Of course
> this does nothing for your odometer. If you do find yourself driving
> without a speedometer (and odometer) you will have to find another way
> to keep track of you mileage.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings: