[DML] Re: Automatic transmission computer...extended Beta testing

[DML] Re: Automatic transmission computer...extended Beta testing

Elvis and others,

Yes, there are a few new replacement automatic transmission
projects in the works, with extended beta testing still in
progress on a board that I helped develop, along with help
from several knowledgeable DML members, Elvis included.

Although the extended beta test vehicle is currently down
with an unrelated head gasket issue, the new digital version
of the automatic transmission computer has performed without
error over several thousands miles of various Midwest weather
over a period of nearly 2 years so far.  The main goal for
this project was durability over time, so it will take time.

This is the only digital automatic transmission project that
I know of that has been designed, built and tested for any
extended number of miles for any extended period of time,
but if there are others, it would be good to know about them.

As for some details, the board was originally designed to be
a "drop in" (and solder in) replacement, but initially tests
indicated a "remote location" install would prevent some of
the related failure of the original boards, so the remote box
install was used for the extended beta test unit and testing.
This may be an issue for Concours automatic DeLorean owners.

No release date has been set for this product and it is still
unclear how it will be offered to the DeLorean community.
It may be offered as a "replacement on your core assembly" or
in some type of "advanced" DIY kit or via a DeLorean vendor.

As we all know, each DeLorean is a little different and since
I do firmware testing as my everyday job, this product will
not be released until I feel it has been tested well enough,
over time and under almost all conditions, normal to extreme.

I know it has been a long wait for many automatic DeLorean
owners, but one way or another, this product will make it out
there to the DeLorean community sometime soon, whether it is
done in a complete harness swap or in kit form.

Later,
Rich W.

(and the digital DMC automatic transmission controller team)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis" <elvisnocita@...> wrote:

> I had about ten Governors to fix so far and believe me - even
> if you have a new one or a lately fixed one - NOBODY can
> guarantee you that this thing is going to work for the next
> xx years.
>
> The solder joints on these two PCB's inside the governor
> fail very often which causes that erratic behaviour.
>
> Good thing is - they are cheap to fix.
>
> I heared of several different projects where people
> wanted to replace these governors. what happened to them ?
>
> I bet most of them learned that it isn't simple to make
> sure that this thing won't shift down from third to second
> or first at high speeds. It sounds easy, but it isn't.
>
> Fred - have your governor tested !
>
> Elvis & 6548 (5 speed :-))

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional