[DML] Re: Bolt On Performance.
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[DML] Re: Bolt On Performance.



Mike,

You too are forgetting something: engineers at the manufacturer's 
factory are limited in their options to provide performance. Money 
does that and a car manufacturer juggles between wish and 
possibilities.
A manufacturer usually offers a car that does what he claims at as 
little funds as possible.
That's why NOS parts are usable but not the best.
Tuning a car will get the most out of it (with the factory parts) but 
never more.
Third party parts however will, at a price. That price sometimes will 
be more acceptable than NOS parts (ref. computer mainboards for older 
computers still are so high prized that a newer, better performing 
mainboard will be purchased).

However, if you want facts, try yourself (some vendors give you that 
option), because my driving style is probably not yours and my 
driving conditions will also differ from yours. That will again make 
you say: "your figures can not be compared"! For me my figures 
worked: I have a long time noted fuel consumption spreadsheet that 
clearly states the new parts are helping and improve over the old 
ones. Yes, maybe NOS would do that too, but to which level? I was not 
sure they would be that good, so I choose the cheaper and newer 
options of John's coil and cabling.
Don't tell me I do not get it, I have given it every possible thought 
and the decided. So that station is passed.

For me it worked and works. Should it work for you? Don't know, you 
have to find out for yourself.

Welmoed.


--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike.griese@... wrote:
>
> Welmoed - You Still Don't Get It.
> 
> I want to know how much of a performance improvement I can expect 
with ANY
> performance improvement over new, NOS parts on a well-tuned car.  
Otherwise
> I cannot make any comparisons between one performance improvement 
vs another.
> 
> If you are happy with the parts - that's great.  I'm very happy for 
you.
> 
> You cannot claim At All that the parts you have are any better than 
new,
> original spec parts because you have no measurements comparing the 
two conditions.
> All you can say is that the parts you have work better (in your 
opinion) than the parts
> you took out.  
> 
> These engines are designed as a system.  Fuel delivery, air 
delivery, combustion chamber
> swirl, spark onset, duration, temperature and fuel charge 
detonation patterns are all interlinked.  
> Higher voltage coils, lower impedance wires, and different plug 
gaps change the characteristics 
> of the spark inside the combustion chamber, which can change the 
way the fuel/air mixture burns
> inside the cylinder.  Some changes can be for the better, some for 
the worse.  The fact that 
> there is a relatively crude ECU in the management circuit 
complicates the equation even more.
> 
> To just claim something is "better" without stating what it is 
better than is nothing but 
> marketing.  To claim something is "better" and being able to show 
just how much better it is
> than a stated baseline is engineering.  I prefer engineering.  
> 
> --
> Mike
> 
> 
> -------------- Original message from "welmoedj" <joe.dalton@...>: --
------------ 
> 
> 
> > The guys that want to stick to NOS stuff and claim it's better 
than 
> > what was in their car have a point! 
> > Nevertheless don't argue that those NOS parts are equal to modern 
> > performance technology. Proof? My car's parts (except for the 
coil 
> > were replaced 2005). 
> > Yet as for today I still find better (improved) responses of my 
car 
> > and a better mileage than before. 
> > That's not only due to the coil that has been replaced but also 
due 
> > to the better wires. 
> > Don't tell me that NOS cables wll perform better than cables ith 
a 
> > far lower resistance. Don't argue that NOS coils (28kV) do better 
> > than Flamethrower coils (40kV). 
> > That's not argueing, that's sticking your head in the sand and 
> > believe whatever the gospel tells you. 
> > If you do not believe what other people (positively) experience 
it's 
> > not worth the time trying to convince you! 
> > If you want to know what your money returns you in improvement 
and 
> > you do not believe the rest of the world, toss in your coins and 
test 
> > yourself. 
> > Even if John would go for it and do the dyno himself, I'm sure it 
> > would be money down the drain as again you would ignore that and 
say 
> > the results were "coloured". 
> > Keep sitting in your sheltered corner while the world moves on! 
> > 
> > Welmoed. 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>




To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators@xxxxxxxxxxx

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:dmcnews-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
    mailto:dmcnews-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    dmcnews-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Home Back to the Home of PROJECT VIXEN


Copyright 2006 ProjectVixen.com.  All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed in posts reflect the views of their respective authors.
DMCForum Mailing List Archive  DMCNews Mailing List Archive  DMC-UK Mailing List Archive