[DML] DeLorean Flaws? (Re: interior lamps won't turn off)

[DML] DeLorean Flaws? (Re: interior lamps won't turn off)

Oops -- guess I wasn't clear in my writing again....

I love my DeLorean to death. That's why I refuse to sell it. Whenever
personal finances get too tight, I simply idle it until richer times
come. Hopefully I'll still be driving the car when I'm 90 years old
and am too blind to see beyond the front fascia. You can have my
DeLorean when you pry my cold dead fingers off its steering wheel.

But I am a realist too. My love for the car hasn't blinded me from its
flaws,  just as a husband can love his wife to death and still think
to himself "that wart on her nose *IS* a tad large."

I fully enjoy resolving the car's limitations. It's part of the hobby
for me. Interior illumination for example. Basically I wanted my
DeLorean to light up like my Lincolns. The effect isn't intesity --
it's evenness. So that's what I did. My DeLorean now has the exact
same courtesy light package as my Lincolns: 2 footwell lights, a dome
light, and 2 C pillar lights. And I'm as happy as a dung beetle in....

Carburetion was something of a necessity. I purchased a crate engine
in early 2004 because the price was too good to pass up ($500) and you
never know when you might need a spare engine. Less than two weeks
before Pigeon Forge I needed a spare engine. A hole rotted in my
Renault block in the passenger oil galley. Because the crate engine
wasn't set up for K-Jet (heads were never drilled for injector bungs)
I adapted a Ford carb onto it. I guess in times of crisis you go home
to mama. The crate engine came with an LP carb, but propane is too
much conversion, even for me. Pace of engineering was a tad hectic,
only finishing the night before I was scheduled to leave, but I'm glad
now I did it. Never cared for K-Jet anyway.

My goal is to one day win the lottery and buy a Pearce frame & control
arms. Then #5939 will truly live forever. Unfortunately I only
purchased one lottery ticket before I realized the whole thing is a
sham. Now I've got to find another route to riches. Episodic periods
of unemployment have demonstrated that it surely won't be via a paycheck.

BTW: If you can replace a clutch in an hour you're a much better man
than me.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp@...> wrote:
>
> Bill,
>
> What are you doing in your interior that requires so much light?
Cutting diamonds?  By the way, the delay is to provide light when you
are *inside* the car, such as when you are putting the key in the
ignition, with the convenience of not having to manually turn it on
every time. --And while I admit that the delay module is less than
perfect, my original still functions as designed after almost 90K miles.

> With all your complaints about the way this car was made, I'm
surprised you bother to own one.  I don't care about the crossover
pipe because the clutch slave still only takes an hour every 10 years
to replace.  I also don't care about the K-Jet, because if fresh gas
is kept in it, it requires almost no maintenance of any kind.

> I'm not trying to tell you what to do with your car; I just imagine
what I could do with all the time you spend re-engineering perfectly
acceptable systems!  This isn't a complaint about customization or
improvement, as there is certainly a lot to be had.  I just think the
engineers at DMC deserve much more credit than you give them.  I've
spent 4 years daily driving 1063 to prove it...

> Jake Kamphoefner
> 1063

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional