From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Tom Niemczewski
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:23 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Re: AC clutch running continuously

Hello John

I'm sorry, but your information is a bit off when it comes to the
compressors. SD510 and 508 are both 5 piston units. According to Sanden this

model numbering system was used for compressors made for R-12. The first
digit represents the number of pistons and the two following numbers
represent compressor displacement in cubic inches.
SD 510 - 5 pistons, 10 cubic inches of displacement
SD 508 - 5 pistons, 8 cubic inches of displacement
I would not recommend going with 508... The displacement is lower by 20%
(NOT 2%) and that big of a difference will be noticeable.
Numbering system for R-134a is similar. Equivalent to SD508 would be:
SD5H13* and for the 510 it would be SD5H16*. In this case the characters
are: first digit is a number of pistons, a letter that indicates port
location (H-head, B-body), and remaining numbers represent compressor
displacement in cubic centimeters divided by 10.
* - Sanden does not make 13 or 16 compressors and as a replacement they
recommend using 14. SD5H14HD

If you do not want to use the SD510, or you would like to switch to R134a
and are getting a new compressor I would recommend getting a SD7H15HD. This
is a 7 piston unit with slightly smaller displacement. Those seven pistons
would work better even with the loss of 10ccm of displacement.  It would be
perfect for the DeLorean.

Hope this clears things up a bit....

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
dmctom@xxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com