RE: [DML] Re: AC clutch running continuously

RE: [DML] Re: AC clutch running continuously

Bill,
Maybe if David would preface his statement a little different then all the
newbie's and people considering changing over to a very common R134 wouldn't
be reluctant to do so. David said the system was not designed for R134A and
my point is how could it have been when it wasn't even invented yet and R12
wasn't phased out until the early 90's.
Production of R12 was ceased production in 1996 so say the Fed's. R134A was
and is the most common and yes if you can find any body that stocks or uses
R414B it will also work in the R12 system. I also have Freeze 12 and if you
look around you will find other can colors that will work for R12 or equal.
But that doesn't alter the fact that R134 is the most common and the most
used today no matter where you are.
If you would take each component of our Ac system as I have done and as I
said earlier you can literally change the oil and go directly to R134A. If
you buy 30+ year old R12 compressors as DMCH sells and 30+ year old hoses
you will have trouble and the system will break down.
As far as working with R134, the original condenser for the DeLorean is
perfect as so is the evaporator. The old compressor and the new compressor
are the same. The SD 508 is an 8 piston unit and the SD 510 is a 10 piston
unit. Other than that there is about 2% of the BTU output at 2000RPM's
difference and they both do the job. I sell the SD510 in most cases and
that's what the car was supposed to have come with which is 38.400 BTU.
As I said I have talked to Sanden about this more than once and other than
changing the accumulator and oil in the system and add 2 more ounces of oil
and you can go right in to commonly used R134. Yes you need to change the
service entry hoses on the back of the compressor but that's not very hard
to change out.
There is nothing wrong with our set up for R134 and if you call around you
will find it's what everyone is using whether you agree with it or not. R134 is
like Wal-Mart, it's there when you need it, so my point is quit spreading
negative rumors about R134.
John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com