From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
David Teitelbaum
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:57 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: Bolt On Performance.

I never said NOT to try to improve your "D". What I AM trying to
point out is that there is a very limited amount of improvement to
be gained by buying expensive "performance" parts. In many cases
there will be NO improvement. You really have to look at it as
a "bang-for-the-buck" kind of equation. You can spend a little to
get a little and you can spend a lot and get a little too! Be very
suspicous of big claims for ANY device. An example of real gains can
be seen with synthetic oil. It has been documented by independant
labs that you CAN get as much as 10 extra HP by converting to
synthetic oil. Of course much depends on your individual car but in
this case the gains ARE real. Small, but real. Air filters are also
another simple bolt-on that has documented gains. Again, small,but
measureable. Measureable does not mean you will notice it in
driving! For too many owners I can give a tip that costs NOTHING but
can improve gas mileage, safety, and handling. CHECK YOUR TIRE
PRESSURES!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "welmoedj" <joe.dalton@...> wrote:

> To avoid lengthy discussions that will result in WILL and WILL NOT
> battles I reply only one more time.
>
> Recalls are no improvements that can be selected or ignored. They
are
> a must to assure safety and reliability. No more, no less.
>
> Both of you tend to ignore the fact that there are parts that
really
> can improve handling, quality and performance even of the engine.
> They raise the level of one's pleasure in driving, often at little
> cost.
> Owners that really want their car to outperform other cars need to
> spend quite a lot of money ($K levels). Those may fall in the
> category that buy stage III or go where Martin Gutkowski is
heading?
> This applies to old and new cars alike, young and old(er) owners.
> E.g. the guys that own pepped Hondas etc.
>
> I am not going for a concours car. However I do not want to put a
> muscle car engine in my D either. Somewhere in between is the area
> that I fit in. Improve my joy in driving the D by doing the little
> things that help handling and improve its overall performance.
>
> Regarding Bill Robertsons input, I am not alone in this vision.
> Though I recognize your expertise in regard with the D, it seems
> me you're stuck in the proverbial circle of keeping it stock.
> So stick to your "religion", but I am not a believer in your flock.
> Your "elderly" word is not taken for granted by me, but each time
> weighed for its value and usefulness to achieve my goal.
>
> Welmoed.
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@>
> wrote:
> >
> > My point EXACTLY! Too many times someone will replace old, worn
out
> > parts with some new "performance" part. They get a big
difference
> > and give all of the credit to the "performance" part when in
fact
> > ANY new part would have given the same improvement. This is NOT
the
> > way to compare stock vs performance parts. In the real world it
is
> > rare to be able to bolt on a part and get much if any
improvement
> > over stock. If it was that easy the factory would have done it!
> Now,
> > with that said there ARE some things that can help. Better air
> > filters, synthetic oil, fuel additives, Water Wetter, and the
many
> > upgrades that fix the known and common Delorean problems
including
> > the recalls are things that can improve the car. Braided steel
> brake
> > hoses and clutch lines are a "bolt-on" that can give a lot of
> > improvement.
> > David Teitelbaum
> > vin 10757
> >

> > --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Not to downplay any "bolt on" performance upgrade, but
> > > most of these upgrades are done at a point where the
> > > old NOS parts are worn out anyway.
> > >
> > > Do you know that you would not have gotten the same
> > > improvement if you had replaced the
> > > plugs/wires/coil/cap/rotor with new "stock" parts?

> > _______________
> > > Need a vacation? Get great deals
> > > to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
> > > http://travel.yahoo.com/